Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Panasonic FZ18 battery

Hi all. I'm new to the forums.

I'm getting the Panasonic FZ18, and am considering getting a spare battery along with it. Problem is, the Panasonic-branded CGR-S006 is quite expensive. I did a little research and found quite a number of other brands making this battery for the FZ18.

My question is, what are your thoughts about getting these less expensive versions of the CGR-S006? Is it worth the savings or do I risk damaging my camera? The price differences on several on-line stores are quite significant. Plus, one brand ( Impact) I found on-line is rated at 850mAh. Specs on the Panasonic website indicate 710mAh only. Would the higher capacity work on the FZ18? Are there other even higher capacity versions of the this battery available?

One last thing, I saw at Thomas Distributing that the Lenmar version replaces several CGR-S006 models (click on the Features tab). What do the different letter designations stand for?

Thanks in advance for any input.

cheers

Israel
    Manila, Philippines
    "The trick is to keep breathing."
    - Garbage, Version 2.0

3rd Party Batteries

When I purchased the Canon SD1000, I also purchased a non-canon battery for it. I've not had any issues with the off-brand battery. My hunch is the 850 mAh rating is overrated so it will most likely be 710 mAh or possible even a bit lower. It's not an uncommon practice for battery manufacturers to overrate their capacities.