Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a D300

Holy COW! ISO 3200 looks absolutely beautiful. HI 1 is much better than my ISO 3200! Think of the shutter speed possibilities!

I am seriously impressed.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Happy for you,

Is the noise reduction off in these shots? The chroma noise removes easily
    but the lum a little tougher. Can not pull the exif, jpgs? Or converted raw.

PS do not spend too much time talking to us, play with your new cam, we will still be here anxiously awaiting any scrap of detail about the D300.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

The AF is good. The 51 point is almost overkill, but the 11 is extremely usable for normal use. The Dynamic area AF isn't all that good for pinpoint focus (which is to be expected) but the single area AF is dead on. If you've got marginal inside light, it doesn't hunt. It hunts some in almost-complete darkness, but hey, I am willing to cut slack .

As for ISO, I think 1600 is where I'll be hanging out mostly. 800 was the upper limit for me on my D70s (upper limit for this camera is like, Hi0.3 now).
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

Quote Originally Posted by rawpaw18 View Post
    Happy for you,

Is the noise reduction off in these shots? The chroma noise removes easily
    but the lum a little tougher. Can not pull the exif, jpgs? Or converted raw.

PS do not spend too much time talking to us, play with your new cam, we will still be here anxiously awaiting any scrap of detail about the D300.

NR is off on all these shots. All shots are straight from the camera (didn't use any image processing inside camera either).

As for chatting with everyone, my battery is charging so it doesn't really matter too much.
    Small Town Newspaper Oaf

East Coast Coorespondant for CRAWL Magazine!!??

That's good to know.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Congrats man!
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

It seems as if Nikon has a higher tolerance threshold for luminance noise than Canon does - hence the HI ISO options. Personally I don't see a problem with it; it's certainly less obtrusive than the film grain present in so many famous National Geographic photos, and as long as NR doesn't make mincemeat of the image quality, I say, what's the problem? If it means opening up ISO 6400 and above, go for it.

That said, this CMOS sensor is a leap and a bound above the previous generation of Sony/Nikon CCDs.

Now it'll be interesting to see if any bugs show up (similar to Canon's occasional issues with new cameras). Any bets?
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

What a beautiful piece of kit. Your ISO 3200 shot has amazingly low noise!

Have fun with it.
    Sam

Nikon D80, D300s, Nikkormat EL, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, 55-200mm f4-f5.6 VR AF-S Nikkor, 50mm f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D Nikkor, 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q pre-AI, Hanimex 35mm f2.8 doorstop

www.flickr.com/photos/swpars

wow, cool camera, big congratulations. apparently your Xmas is already there.

yep, look at ISO samples, do I see NOISE there?... bring in COLDY, he is the expert.

NB: Coldy, do not pick at me, I could not hold from joking.

all i see is that apparently D300 is not world aparts with 40D, rather similar at high ISO. what i wonder though is AF and dynamic range, how is this?

Yeah, 14-bit RAW conversions are the next thing we're going to clamor for.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens