Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon S5IS or SX1000?

I am looking for a high quality camera to shoot photos for my website. Most important is image quality - my Canon SD450 does well in outdoor shots, but falls apart in low light. Also, the small size often means blur as it is hard to hold steady. I need a camera to shoot scenics, indoor available light (inside wineries or restaurants), and close up for food shots (for dining reviews).

I keep going back and forth on the Canon S5 IS and the SX1000. I've played with both of them and they seem similar. On one hand, I am leaning towards the S5 because it seems like a more "professional" camera versus a "family" camera. But, and I know this is goofy, the lens on the camera reminds me of a cheapo toy camera when you look at it straight on. I know, I know, that's just dumb but I do like the look and functionality of the SX1000 lens with the built in lens cap.

Bottom line is image quality - I used a Nikon D80 on my last photo shoot and liked the photos, but hated carting that giant camera into restaurants and wineries. It was just too big and heavy. I also might need to do some web video (youtube quality) for the website.

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

Budget: Around $350 or less

Size: Smaller than DSLR, but don't need another pocketsized camera as I already have a Canon SD450.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?: Minimum 8

* What optical zoom will you need? Ultrazoom, with the wider the better

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual controls? Yes, will want to set shutter or aperture

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? I shoot photos for my website (new site soon to be launched is www.NapaTouristGuide.com) I shoot inside wineries (no flash), outside scenic photos (wide angle), and inside food photos (ideally no flash, or the ability to take closer up shots and not have the flash too bright - my Canon SD450's flash is so hot up close that the plates are very overexposed)

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? No, but I like to show them on a 16:9 37" TV.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Not typically

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Love Canon and don't want to learn another manufacturers interface

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon S5IS and SX1000

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Wide angle and IS are important.

Neither camera is going to be very good at low light no flash shooting. I love my S3 but low light is not the camera's strong suit, the the S5/SX1000 is not going to be any better. If you are planning on using flash get the S5 and an external flash; that would be the best setup with these two cameras.

The Canon S-5 is your BEST Bet

I surely do agree with David-

The Canon S-5 with the Canon 430EX Flash is the BETTER answer. But with just a bit more in the $$$ department, you could get a Canon XTi and gain a huge leap in image quality.

Sarah Joyce