Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: FZ18 vs. FZ8

Question FZ18 vs. FZ8

Over the past few months, I have decided that I would really like to buy me a new digital camera. The only problem is, I don't know which one.

I have read a lot of reviews and narrowed my choise down to the FZ18 and the FZ8. I know that both of them are being criticised for their noise on images over 400 ISO, but I won't really be taking pictures with the ISO set so high. The thing I like on both of these cameras, are their wonderful Leica lenses, and their zooming abilities.

Is there anyone here who can help me decide between these two cameras? Should I buy the FZ18, or would the FZ8 suffice?

Please bear in mind, that I have never had a wide-angled camera before, so I am not used to the 28mm on the FZ18, but I think it may be a very nice advantage, but I am also fine to keep on coping without it.

Thanks for helping out.

I have used neither of those cameras so I am no help with that part of your decision........The FZ18 seems to handle the high ISO better but I think the NR is just too strong.....but then thats only my opinion.
    What I wanted to comment on .....so many people say how great the 28mm is to have, but I have that equivilant on my DSLRs and almost never use it..... there is almost no time I use wider than 35mm even though the lens on the dslr covers 18 to 200 mmm. (which is the same as 27 to 300 on the FZ cameras.) Now I realize others may have different needs, but my guess is most people will find 28mm is not as useful as they thought it would be.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

I hear what you are saying about the wide angle. I personally think that it will maybe be a bit of an advantage for me, since I mainly use my camera to take some photos when I am travelling. That is also the main reason why I haven't considered a DSLR, because they are usually much bigger and then you will also have to carry lenses with you.

To come back to the Panasonic cameras... The main reason why I am considering the FZ18 is because of the lens that is able to cover such a big distance. The wide angle will be an advantage for me, because it happens sometimes the you cannot fir a building or landmark into the frame if you do not have a wide angled lens.

But then again, is the price difference really worthwhile, because I can also get me a 0.7x wide angle conversion lens for the FZ8. (With the standard 36mm it will give you a wide angle of +-25mm... I hope I'm correct...) The only question I then have, is won't this adapter lens affect your image quality? I have read this somewhere, I think.

The NR is a bit bad one these cameras with the VENUS III engine, but luckily you can turn it down to low, and people claim that the pictures are much better.

Thanks for the reply...

If WA is a desire of yours I would get the FZ18.....a WA adapter on a FZ8 has a very limited use....it really is only at its best at total wide open, as you start to zoom the image degrades quickly. On my FZs by 3X they are totally unusable.
    IMHO, a wide angle lens does have a use for architectural photos...but little else.
    And I think you are on the right track with the FZs.......I am quite fond of my FZ20 and FZ30
    I usually use the DSLR, but my wife is usually nearby with the FZ30.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Thank you for the reply, genece. I appreciate it. I must just still make the decision whether to purchase the FZ8 or FZ18, because the latter is much more expensive.

snappy001 only you can decide if you can find the extra cash for the FZ18 but if it was me I would go for it. That extra zoom has got to be worth the extra money. I have an old FZ20 & use the 12x regularly & often want more zoom. Adding a teleconverter later would be expensive & inconvenient when you can get it all in one package with the FZ18. The wide angle aspect is along the same lines if you feel you will want that ability later better to get it now in the FZ18. There are fewer occasions where I would like my FZ20 to go wider & there isn't space to move further away but they do occur. IMHO go for the newer FZ18.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them