Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weird xti problem.

hi guys... long time no post.

well anyways, my 2 month old xti is acting weird. when it was new i was able to leave a fully charged battery in it and it would keep its charge for almost a 5 days with out a huge drop in charge.... but now, if i leave a fully charged battery (one of any 3 i own) in for more than two or so hours its dead.... what gives? Thanks for the help if any!

~Casey
    Last edited by clutch; 11-11-2007 at 01:22 AM.

Clutch - Could you provide a little more info on the batteries themselves? Are the three batteries original Canon units, 3rd party offerings or a mix of the two?

I had a similar problem with some generic batteries that came with a grip that I bought. They were branded 'Power 2000'.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

If he's got three different batteries (assuming at least one is the original issue Canon), I doubt it's a battery problem. Rather it sounds like the camera is drawing down the batteries even when it's off. In the 2 1/2 yrs I had my XT that happened only once. But I remember searching around on-line and seeing other people had similar issues ( I don't recall if what I found affected both XT's and XTi's.)

You may want to check with Canon service or at least do some research on-line to see if other people have had a similar issue.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Quote Originally Posted by 24Peter View Post
    If he's got three different batteries (assuming at least one is the original issue Canon), I doubt it's a battery problem. Rather it sounds like the camera is drawing down the batteries even when it's off. In the 2 1/2 yrs I had my XT that happened only once. But I remember searching around on-line and seeing other people had similar issues ( I don't recall if what I found affected both XT's and XTi's.)

You may want to check with Canon service or at least do some research on-line to see if other people have had a similar issue.
    one is the original for the xti, one is the original for my old powershot, and one is a generic.... al of them do the same thing.

Clutch - Hmmm. Scratching my head a little here. I asked about the batteries because I thought that maybe your original battery went dead and you bought a few generic batteries of the same brand or something of the sort. Seeing a how you are using different batteries, it's a bit strange. I wish that I could offer some help other than to say that if it is really problematic, it may be time to contact Canon service
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Either your battery charger is now faulty and does not charge the batteries fully, or your camera has a very strange problem now.

If you know any other XT/XTi owner, try to find out if it is the battery charger. If not, it is the camera. Time to contact Canon I guess?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

well i have two chargers, so i guess ill try the other one and see if that changes anything.... thanks for the help!

well, i just decided to send it in to canon..... sent it out this morning, i hope they can get it figured out!

Clutch, Please let us know how this turns out. I hope Canon gives you a good explanation of what was wrong with your camera.
    Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Spookonthe8ball View Post
    Clutch, Please let us know how this turns out. I hope Canon gives you a good explanation of what was wrong with your camera.
    Spook
    ok, i just got got my camera back a few days ago.... and now it works flawlessly. maybe even better than it did when new.

they replaced the the main pcb assembly (what ever that is) and made other electrical adjustments.