Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: XTi vs XT

XTi vs XT

Could any recommend what camera I should choose from? I just bought the XT from Best Buy (Package deal with bag, extra lense, etc) for $700. But I read it is 3 year old technology vs the XTi. Is there truely any difference? I will mainly use it to photograph the kids and at their sporting events. I don't plan on printing poster sized pictures... 8 x 11 max. This is my first digital camera.

I haven't used an XT, but I know that the XTi has an improved auto focus system.
    A prime is always a prime as long as its only divisors are 1 and itself.

Gear: Rebel XTI + Opteka Battery Grip | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 + Chinese Lense Hood | Canon 10-22 3.5-4.5 | 430EX | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | LaCrosse BC-900 Battery Charger | Digipower card reader with Mood Light
    Elan IIe + crap lenses

Quote Originally Posted by fractalgfx View Post
    I haven't used an XT, but I know that the XTi has an improved auto focus system.
    I owned the XT for 2 1/2 yrs and XTi for a weekend. I didn't notice a significant improvement in IQ or AF functioning so I returned the XTi. IMO the cameras are very close. Comparative pricing should be the final decision-making factor.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by 24Peter View Post
    I owned the XT for 2 1/2 yrs and XTi for a weekend. I didn't notice a significant improvement in IQ or AF functioning so I returned the XTi. IMO the cameras are very close. Comparative pricing should be the final decision-making factor.
    To be quite honest I don't find the XT focussing problems to be major issues. Feed it Canon lenses and you're laughing. IQ seems similar to that on my 30D.

Personally, I have a 30D and an XT. If I were buying my 30D again would I? I think so. Would I buy an XT as opposed to a 20D? No - I think I prefer the controls on the 30D.

The XTi's AF is more precise, it can give better results with some lenses. This does not mean that your particular XT has to be bad though. The XT is a very good camera still, and if you are happy with it you do not have to change it.
    Whether or not you made a good deal is hard to say, the "extra" lens can be mediocre or not. And the bag can be what you want, or not.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

The XTI is a fine camera, a touch more resolution, better AF system I'd say is worth the few extra dollars.

Tim

Oh and "package" lenses are usually crap.

My recommendation? Exchange it if possible for XTI "kit" and buy a nice zoom lens to go along with it if you want to do sport shooting.

Tim