Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To help the OP out, let's not get too bogged down with the technical minutia too much without clearly addressing his concern. As I read it, the post breaks down like this:

Can you set the shutter speed faster than 1/200 and still use the XTI's on-board flash? The answer is no.

Is it possible to do so with an external unit and to what extent? The answer is yes, to the maximum shutter speed of the camera depending on which external unit you use.

Would anyone disagree?
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Quote Originally Posted by nqjudo View Post
    To help the OP out, let's not get too bogged down with the technical minutia too much without clearly addressing his concern. As I read it, the post breaks down like this:

Can you set the shutter speed faster than 1/200 and still use the XTI's on-board flash? The answer is no.

Is it possible to do so with an external unit and to what extent? The answer is yes, to the maximum shutter speed of the camera depending on which external unit you use.

Would anyone disagree?
    I agree to that. I re-read your former post, and even though you talk about flashes with higher sync speed, you did not actually say they could sync the flash to higher shutter speeds... sorry for misreading your former post.
    Last edited by coldrain; 11-10-2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

essentially thats right.

but flashes these days are so advanced they are almost set and forget in most circumstances with little need to adjust anything. the OP needs to keep in mind that setting the flash above the max sync speed will require a bit more effort to get exposures right. while that may sound too technical, it can be difficult to get it right cos you have to try getting your flash EV's done manually.

not critical mind you, but important to point out none the less.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    How come I can only go as fast as 1/200 sec with the onboard flash? Is there a way to go faster? If I get a Speedlite or other hotshoe flash am I still limited?
    Here we go again. Read the OP's question above for reference.

The answer is "YES you can go faster...if you use an EX flash unit in high-speed sync mode" for the context in which the question was asked...

The rest of the of the info provided is of course correct...when the EX flash units are in "high-speed sync" mode they operate by pulsing light...and yes the curtains can not exceed their limit. But some of you guys just like to confuse the hell out of people. Only gear-heads and pros care or need to care at that level.

He asked a simple question and gets the encyclopedia for an answer. I know you guys want to provide the most technically correct answer possible...but why can't you just say "Yes...but in case you're interested, here's what's going go inside your camera...". Jeez...what a bunch of unfriendly geeks!

Wait that's not fair...I'm a little geeky too sometimes...and you guys are right to provide the most technically correct answer...but I'd like to see some of you try just once to put yourself in the shoes of the person asking the question...without trying to prove you're the smartest guy on the planet (which, sadly, none of us are).

Would anyone disagree?
    Kudos to you! This is an OP friendly answer that answers the question specifically WITHIN THE CONTEXT ASKED. Why can't more people here follow your admirable example? Why is common sense such a rare commodity? Why do I ask these dumb rhetorical questions on an Internet forum?
    Last edited by JTL; 11-11-2007 at 01:32 AM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    He asked a simple question and gets the encyclopedia for an answer. I know you guys want to provide the most technically correct answer possible...but why can't you just say "Yes...but in case you're interested, here's what's going go inside your camera...". Jeez...what a bunch of unfriendly geeks!
    Perhaps in this case a picture is worth 1,000 words...

Rebel XT SS 1/640th 430EX Speedlite used for fill flash

Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Would anyone disagree?
    I think that's how I understood it too...Thanks to all!!
    Mike
    Canon Xti | Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC Macro | Canon 50 F1.8 II | Canon 55-250 F4-5.6 IS | SlingShot 100
    86 AscMcLaren Capri 5.0
    www.mikemartinelli.com/Photography

Quote Originally Posted by 24Peter View Post
    Perhaps in this case a picture is worth 1,000 words...

Rebel XT SS 1/640th 430EX Speedlite used for fill flash

Umm, what were we talking about? I was thinking about something else....
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store