Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Non-uniform Sky Color - Looking for Advice

Rotation of my Tiffin 67 mm circular polarizing filter, mounted on a Canon EFS 17-85 mm macro lens, does not always produce the desired results; namely, a uniformly darkened sky color (at the widest field of view under hazy atmospheric conditions). In some cases (apparently) I have not been able to find a filter rotation setting that produces the desired results. Assuming that I cannot re-orientate the line of vision 90 deg to the light source, or do not want to sacrifice field of view, are there any other technical fixes to this problem ?

Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by zircon100; 11-08-2007 at 10:28 PM.

There really are only two things you can do, and you ruled both of them out.

My tendency would be to zoom in a bit until you could get the PL's effect to be more uniform, but that isn't always practical.

Its hard with wide angle lenses, the effect can be difficult to manage sometimes.
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

This uneven effect is quite normal as you get much wider than 30mm (35mm equiv.) Depending on the situation it can look very strange. If the dark area is only on one side it is generally less odd looking than when it is dark in the middle of the image and light on both sides. Generally PL filters work best on wide angles when you minimize the sky in the photo. Shoot low when wide.

Reply to dustyporch and kgosden

Thanks for your comments. Others have told me a similar story. I had hoped that the "fix" might have been the use of a special type of filter; like a hypothetical "gradient density circular polarizer".