Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question 50mm Lens issues

About two years ago, I picked up a 50mm f/1.4 for pretty good price ... but, I found that shooting through the lens was ... well, weird. It was soft and worse yet ... incredibly soft at its widest aperture.

So, if you're reading this, your probably asking (and rightfully so) "How bad is this, Don?"

Well, just for fun and no serious set-up, I threw a target (my pen & ink drawing I did of my dog) up against my desktop monitor (that weird blue glow along the upper right hand corner), backed up 18 inches and shot 4 images with each lens (except the last one) ... at the following settings, to demonstrate this issue: f/1.4, f/1.7, f/2.5 & f/2.8

Okay ... here's the quick output of a brand new SONY 50mm f/1.4 PRIME:

Then, here's the older (suspect) Minolta 50mm f/1.4 PRIME:

Yeah, baby ... I think we are looking at a total lens rebuild, here. That color shift is the lens, itself ... so I believe it has been compromised. All settings, except for aperture were the same. (ISO 400, speed 1/50th)

But, in contrast, here's my (new back in 1985) Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens - there is no f/1.4 shot. It seems to keep the faith ... with a slight tint. There is a golden glow to my "Golden." This lens has been with me since I began shooting the Minolta Maxxum 7000. Tried and true. I take care of my glass. Obviously, the clown who owned this f/1.4 prior wasn't as careful - probably bounced the darn thing. No wonder I got a "reasonable" price on it, when I bought it.

So ... off to repair, today ... this probably won't be cheap.

BTW ... this is a casual, but relatively good demonstration of what a f/1.4 lens gives you over a f/1.7

I mean, look closely at the apparent exposure level change in that first series. Even in the second series. It seems pretty significant with only a 0.3 change in aperture, huh? An f/1.4 can save an image and get you out of the noise. It's rather easy to see why you would want an f/1.4 choice over the f/1.7 or even an f/1.8 by other manufacturers.

Yeah, even the dog agrees ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-18-2008 at 07:53 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Jesus, that old one was a dud!
    Thank god you replaced it.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Thumbs up Fix me up!

Well, f/1.4 glass is kind of pricey, so I'm having it estimated for repair. If it is reasonable, I'll have a back-up for the A100.

Don't get me wrong, the f/1.7 is a good lens, too, but the little bit of aperture really can help a shot when it gets dark. Yes, even older glass can take a hit ... but it can be cleansed & reclaimed. Let's hope that this is the case, here. Got my fingers crossed.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Finally got the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 back & ...

Finally got the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 back.

I am pleased with the results from United Camera Repair. They did a really nice job on it ... because it was way ... uh, screwed up.

Anyway ,,, here are the two new side by sides and the 100% crops.

Lighting was ambient ... f/1.4 - 1/90th sec - ISO-400 (I like to see roughly what the "normal" lighting reveals. Flash makes things look ... well, different. Stark.) There is also a subtle hue shift from red tint (SONY) to a slight green tint (Minolta).

The SONY is still slightly sharper (or, if you will, the Minolta is slightly softer). The 100% crops reveal it.

SONY f/1.4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Minolta f/1.4
    Name:  _DSC0901.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  162.3 KBName:  _DSC0902.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  156.5 KB

100% Crops

SONY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Minolta
    Name:  _DSC0901 crop.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  167.9 KBName:  _DSC0902 crop.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  151.1 KB

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is don't be afraid to purchase and use the "older" glass ... because, it may be nearly as good as the new stuff ... and cost quite a bit less.

After what it looked like before ...

Name:  M50-f14-B4-rep.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  81.9 KB

Wow, what a difference ... even the bizarre color cast is gone.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-18-2008 at 07:56 AM.

flickr & Sdi