Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs up Getting a grip ...

Well, the truck is a coming ... with the VG-C70AM Vertical Grip. Yeah, everything you wanted in an attached grip but the other manufacturers just won't give you.

This one is more than just a hole for an extra-battery and a shutter release. It contains the entire right rear side of the camera in it, so when you go to portrait orientation, you're not wondering where your controls went.

Name:  VGC70AM.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  8.1 KB

The camera is nearly complete ... and just in time for the rehearsal ...

I always feel so lost, when I turn the camera and there is nothing to grab hold of. It's not devastating, but more incovenient than anything else. The extra battery power doesn't hurt, either, and I have just the extra pair of batteries for this bad boy.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-24-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up Right on time ...

The grip arrived and it has some different aspects to it. There is a battery carriage (best I can describe it) that holds the two NP-FM500H batteries in it. They are "geared" with notches around the lower edge of each battery to fit inside of the carriage. Once the two batteries are securely placed, it slides into the grip and locks in place. with a spring loaded clip. You then close and secure the door with a quick twist and you are rarin' to go.

It is amazing the confident feel you have for the camera body, once the grip in in place. It's also kind of neat to have all the features of the back of the camera body in "portrait orientation."

Not too much more to say about this other than ... it's about time! LOL
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    It is amazing the confident feel you have for the camera body, once the grip in in place. It's also kind of neat to have all the features of the back of the camera body in "portrait orientation."
    At least "almost all" anyway. I see a few that are not on the grip, although there are more than any other manufacturer. Looks like a very nice grip.

Ray.

Smile Got Grip?

Well ... I figured I'd show the grip as it sits ... Landscape and Portrait orientation.

LANDSCAPE Orientation
    Name:  got-grip-Landscape.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  232.5 KB

PORTRAIT Orientation
    Name:  got-grip-Portrait.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  224.4 KB

And it fits right into the sling bag ... with the 80-400 (mounted), 56 flash, 35-70, 20-35
    Name:  a700-sling-bag.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  230.0 KB

There aren't too many of these grips out there, right at this very moment ... but by this weekend ... boy howdy!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Lovely Addon indeed, thanks for the info
    Sony A100 + DT18-70mm + Sigma 70-300mm with 1,4 Conversor.

Looks hot, Don.
    Does the adapter plate get in the way of your hand when shooting in the portrait orientation?
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Cool Mounting plate interference? -> not much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan View Post
    Looks hot, Don.
    Does the adapter plate get in the way of your hand when shooting in the portrait orientation?
    Not really ... but I haven't had it long enough to be completely sure. It lines up under my index finger and the RC2 plate is easily removed, also, if it gets annoying. I just like the ability to go straight to tripod without having to unscrew/screw the entire rig ... the chances of fumbling and dropping a heavier lens escalates enormously when you do so.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-14-2007 at 07:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

way to bulky for my taste..i just needed a little more on the bottom for my pinky to hold on to..so i made one out of aluminum for my 100.now on my 700

Thumbs up Price reduction

Recently, SONY reduced the price of the Vertical Grip VG-C70AM by $100, making clearly more affordable with its replicated features of the right side of the camera. After a month of pretty good use, I have found that it is wise to shut the vertical grip controls to off if you are not flipping back and forth between landscape and portrait orientations, as you can inadvertantly change your speed or aperture settings when worn around the neck, if you do not.

In other words, be cognizant (depending on how you have the controls set up - aperture/speed <> front/back) that the rear setting control can change by your inadvertant bushing against the thumbwheel.

It's a small item, but can really change your shot, when you lift to shoot. The "ON/OFF" switch is there for good reason.

flickr & Sdi

250 at circuit city right now