Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.

I'm glad I don't use the garage as a studio!

The other day I came into the garage and found the spring on the one side of the garage door was on the floor. Not only had the one end of the spring (26" long and 3/16th wire) snapped but it had snapped the hook that it was attached to. I found the hook today on the other side of the garage. While the spring broke , it bent a metal rake fairly badly. Imagine if that had hit somebody!

I'm now looking for new extension springs and might well replace all 4 instead of the single spring (2 on each door). I hear that torsion springs are even more dangerous than our extension springs!

If your springs are more than 10 years old you might want to think about replacing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

The other day I came into the garage and found the spring on the one side of the garage door was on the floor. Not only had the one end of the spring (26" long and 3/16th wire) snapped but it had snapped the hook that it was attached to. I found the hook today on the other side of the garage. While the spring broke , it bent a metal rake fairly badly. Imagine if that had hit somebody!

I'm now looking for new extension springs and might well replace all 4 instead of the single spring (2 on each door). I hear that torsion springs are even more dangerous than our extension springs!

If your springs are more than 10 years old you might want to think about replacing them!
    You could replace that old door and use a lighter-style door (devoid of monster springs altogether) and an electric opener. Call it ... "Home/Studio Improvement"
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    You could replace that old door and use a lighter-style door (devoid of monster springs altogether) and an electric opener. Call it ... "Home/Studio Improvement"
    That is the eventual plan BUT there's the money issue. It is cheaper just to replace the springs (I hope).

Personally, I prefer the doors that open from the middle rather than the up and overs.

They call those "barn doors", Rhys. Don't forget to close 'em BEFORE the cows run off. LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

That happend to me a few years ago...cause a chain reaction of sorts and knocked some stuff into the tank of my motorcycle...

I just put some cable through the new springs and tied it off so that won't happen again...I can post a pic of what I mean if it's not clear...
    Mike
    Canon Xti | Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC Macro | Canon 50 F1.8 II | Canon 55-250 F4-5.6 IS | SlingShot 100
    86 AscMcLaren Capri 5.0
    www.mikemartinelli.com/Photography

Just set your garage door to manual, and your springs will maintain a 30,000 Lb capacity throughout the opening/closing process.

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    That happend to me a few years ago...cause a chain reaction of sorts and knocked some stuff into the tank of my motorcycle...

I just put some cable through the new springs and tied it off so that won't happen again...I can post a pic of what I mean if it's not clear...
    Now that is a darned good idea. I might see whether I can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Now that is a darned good idea. I might see whether I can do that.
    Yeah better than nothing anyway...had to post pics...(damn they turned out crappy...lol)

All that to protect my baby!!

Mike
    Canon Xti | Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC Macro | Canon 50 F1.8 II | Canon 55-250 F4-5.6 IS | SlingShot 100
    86 AscMcLaren Capri 5.0
    www.mikemartinelli.com/Photography