Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sd card reader

sd card reader

does it really matter what kind of card reader someone gets, saw one at bestbuy for $45, but then on newegg.com there are some that are alot cheaper such as PQI, PPA, Lexar etc. also heard of the $10 one at Aldi? Also what is the difference between a card reader and a reader/writer, does this mean if I get a reader that i wont be able to crop and alter photos and save them back to my SD card, will be using with canon SD200?

anybody have an answer? Do I need reader, or reader/writer?

I had a thread going some one told me something I forgot lol but it answered my question..

But I'm still looking for a cheap card reader so.. I'd like to find out as well
    武壇 八極拳 & 螳螂拳

c2, what???

I'm also waiting for the same answer you want.....

I remember in my last thread the person just told me that a Card reader isn't necessary unless you want to transfer your pictures anf files quicker thats it.. and not deal with wires and stuff to hook your Camera up to your PC

But other then that I'd like to have answers to the same questions you posted
    武壇 八極拳 & 螳螂拳

Quote Originally Posted by gr7797
    does it really matter what kind of card reader someone gets, saw one at bestbuy for $45, but then on newegg.com there are some that are alot cheaper such as PQI, PPA, Lexar etc. also heard of the $10 one at Aldi? Also what is the difference between a card reader and a reader/writer, does this mean if I get a reader that i wont be able to crop and alter photos and save them back to my SD card, will be using with canon SD200?
    First answer is no. Suplemental answer: Don't buy peripherals at Best Buy.

Card reader is synonymous with reader/writer. I haven't seen one yet that just reads, as USB is a bidirectional control. Just make sure that it is USB2.0High Speed (480Mb/sec).

The newegg offerings are ok. The unit below works pretty well for me (I have several different "made in china's" and they all work fine).

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/DRV10536.html
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Awsome George thanks

now a 2nd question... what are some good prices are these things what ball park price are we looking at for a decent card scanner?

Wow just lookeda the link.. and man thats a good price

I saw some that had the same feature for 50$ at Futureshop and Best Buy

Glad you posted that ^_^
    武壇 八極拳 & 螳螂拳

Quote Originally Posted by c2ironfist
    Awsome George thanks

now a 2nd question... what are some good prices are these things what ball park price are we looking at for a decent card scanner?

Wow just lookeda the link.. and man thats a good price

I saw some that had the same feature for 50$ at Futureshop and Best Buy

Glad you posted that ^_^
    Before I moved to the Sanoran Desert, I lived in Silicon Valley, and bought a lot of good "junk" from Surplus Computers store (used to be software-and-stuff) in Santa Clara. A great place for wandering, it's basically a warehouse full of neat geeky stuff. I still buy from them via the web (no tax). Not always the best price on everything, but always competitive, and occasionally they throw in free shipping.

The two other good sources for memory and peripherals are Computer Geeks in Southern California and newegg.com. Fry's Electronics is still the champ for a lot of computer stuff and it's a local brick-and-mortar store.

http://www.computergeeks.com/

CC, Best Buy, Ultimate, and etc. rarely see my shining face, unless I'm really desparate. I'm always disappointed in their prices, and their existance is living proof that P.T. Barnum was right.

It's always great fun to have a "junk-shop", or two... or three... to fall back on.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 01-20-2005 at 03:18 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

thanks for the links I'm gonna save them..
    武壇 八極拳 & 螳螂拳

Dido, Thanks for the reply George.