Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question which telephoto lens??

I'm looking for an inexpensive telephoto lens for my Pentax K100D. I want a telephoto so I can start photographing wildlife. I've been looking at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4 Di. is this lens good? is there a better lens that isn't too expensive?

It's actually a f/4-5.6. I'm starting to like it more than when I first got it. It does however, give me some problems with chromatic aberrations. People also like the Sigma 70-300 APO. Here are some shots I got with the K100D and the Tamron...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lswenger...98674488942338
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lswenger...98678783909650
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lswenger...99662331420786
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lswenger...99232834690994
    Last edited by TheWengler; 11-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

The Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro is about the best lens under 200 dollars

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...300F4ADPX%3D29
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

The Sigma shows pretty poor border resolution on photozone. That's why I decided to just go with Tamron. It does seem odd that so many people like the Sigma as a budget telephoto if it really did have poor border resolution. Maybe photozone got a bad copy.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 11-03-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

What sort of wildlife are you shooting? 300 is pretty short for a lot of subjects.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Lightbulb Check out a Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (not the II)

The problem is that Pentax is severlely limited with newer long telephoto lenses. There are a few older lenses that are out there ... one being the kind I personally have a copy of for my SONY/Minolta. It took me a couple years to get one, but it has proven to be a pretty good long lens.

The Tokina AF 80-400m f/4.5-5.6 AT-X, which hasn't been produced for a couple years, is a great nature lens. It may be just what you are looking for. It'll probably be around $400-$500 (I got mine for around $300), but the focal range is outstanding on a APS-C sensor camera.

It, effectively, is 120-600mm on a 35mm film-camera body. That's impressive. Not only that, it doesn't weigh all that much for a lens of this type, so toting it around is a lot easier.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-03-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I mainly want to shoot larger wildlife and birds. my camera has a 1.5x conversion factor, which gives a 300mm lens a focal length of 450mm. and I can always buy a 1.4x teleconverter, increasing it to about 630mm.

300 with a 1.4x TC is respectable for a lot of wildlife stuff on a crop-sensor body. You will find serious birders shooting a minimum of 400mm but more often than not at 500 or 600 on crop-sensor bodies.

I have been shooting recently with a 300mm lens, 1.4x TC with a crop factor of 1.6 and it's still quite short for timid subjects. If it is within budget, Don's suggestions with a TC may serve you better for birding. I am not sure how the TC will affect the auto focus on the camera as I am not familiar with Pentax but I'm sure Don could give you the details if you need some.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Cool The teleconverter (T/C) and high f/stop lens issues

Okay, a 1.4x T/C will lop off a full f-stop of light from the lens (and forget about using a 2x T/C ... because it instantly lops 2-f/stops) ... so your 300 or 400mm @ its widest f/5.6 aperture will actually become an f/8 lens and autofocus will cease to exist or become rather unstable. You also may lose the infinity focus in the offing.

Some may disagree, but I believe that your best bet is always getting the longest lens width the widest available aperture and avoiding the use of a T/C altogether.

In fact, if you should decide an AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 lens is on your short list, using any T/C is extremely unwise, because it will eliminate your infinity focus and restrict you down to about 23 feet, making your beautiful and sharp lens nothing more than some kind of oversized macro.

My personal suggestion is that if you rely on autofocusing, do not use a T/C on a lens with a maximum aperture less than f/5. f/5.6 will be very suspect ... and your "keeper" rate will decrease significantly ... but you usually won't reaalize that until you get back home and start reviewing your work. It's then the sadness sinks in.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-03-2007 at 07:37 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

what do people think of the Pentax 75-300mm f/4-5.6??