Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Looking for a solution

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I've found quite a bit of useful advice from it already, and I wanted to post my situation to see what perspectives I could get from the Photography community.

I don't know much about Photography. Last year we bought a Nikkon D50 so I could start taking pictures of our new product that we began to sell and started working on a catalog and other print advertisements.

With the camera, I bought a EZCube tent, and a few cheap lights for a couple hundred dollars.

Now, here's my situation. It's almost time for new designs - and that means another reshoot of all my photography. My Nikkon D50 is giving me a problems, and I just had to send it in for repair.

I want to upgrade my lighting, and methods, but should I upgrade my camera, or do you think the d50 is fine for my use?

Here's a sample picture URL of our product. We design small stained glass pins, earrings & nightlights. The nightlights are no larger then 3" and need to be photographed in use in an outlet.

The jewelry however has no restraints on how I must photograph them.

http://www.switchables.net/pop.php?f...ages/JE011.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding lighting and products they would recommend considering a budget of around $2-4k?

Upgrade from d50?
    What kind of lighting?
    Macro lens?

This isn't standard jewelry - it's stained glass.

Thanks in advance,
    matt

You'd be hard pressed to upgrade from a D50 without spending a couple thousand dollars. I think a macro lens and a tripod would benefit you a lot, as you're shooting very small objects. Since you're shooting stationary subjects, I think a tripod would be a far more practical solution than better lighting. Just make sure your white balance is right and you're good to go.

Well. The D50 right now is in Melville, NY for repair. For some reason it started giving me errors 90% of the time on shots. When it gets fixed I'll just keep it for a camera to tool around with.

So either way, i'm buying a new camera this weekend.

My budget is $2,000 for a new camera, macro lens, tripod (perhaps) - I have one, but I may replace it, and perhaps some additional lighting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To note again, I'm taking photography of stained glass jewelry & nightlights as seen on switchables.net. The photography will be used for print (catalogs/advertisements) and online.

Also, is it necessary to use a macro lens with my product? I don't get reflection from stained glass when I get clsoe with a normal lens. However, I don't know much about it, so any insight would be great. Thanks,

Matt