Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by griptape View Post
    It's not so much that you CAN overcome these irksome problems, it's the fact that after 6 generations on a high end camera, we shouldn't HAVE to. Not so much a deal breaker as to make it a bad problem, but something that has been annoying for multiple generations with no fix.
    Ah, but who says it is a problem. Canon evidently don't think so other wise I would have thought they would have changed it. I don't think it's a problem. You evidently think it is. O.k. So why don't you tell canon what you think they ought to do about it. How will they ever find out what bugs you if YOU ( or all the others who don't like it like this ) don't tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by selnz View Post
    Ah, but who says it is a problem. Canon evidently don't think so other wise I would have thought they would have changed it. I don't think it's a problem. You evidently think it is. O.k. So why don't you tell canon what you think they ought to do about it. How will they ever find out what bugs you if YOU ( or all the others who don't like it like this ) don't tell them.
    Unusually poor auto white balance and an auto focus beam that's arbitrarily attached to the pop up flash on a $1400 camera is a problem. I don't think anyone needs to say it for it to be true.

And I believe they employ people to do market research, and I shouldn't have to do their reporting for them.

And again, it's borderline nit picking to be complaining about that sort of thing, but it just makes you scratch your head when they got so much else right.

Canon is big enough not to need an apologist.

Personally I think Nikon tends to get the "bigger picture" better than Canon most of the time. Which is not to say Canon doesn't get certain things better than Nikon does; low noise for example. But I hope the D300 CMOS will fix that.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    Canon is big enough not to need an apologist.

Personally I think Nikon tends to get the "bigger picture" better than Canon most of the time. Which is not to say Canon doesn't get certain things better than Nikon does; low noise for example. But I hope the D300 CMOS will fix that.
    It might, but it's getting it off a Sony designed sensor. I'm a good night of drinking away from switching to the ugly duckling A700. Nothing like hitting up Amazon.com with a credit card and beer goggles. Heck, Don's not all that far from me, we could be pals.
    Last edited by griptape; 10-28-2007 at 10:30 PM.

My (still over half full) Newcastle Brown Ale says: "Pshaw! Go for it!"

(Pshaw being the British touch)
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Only thing that bothers me about Nikon DSLRs is the stupid mixed font. Different sized and looking letters/numbers just irks me!

I suppose its a good thing if the only complaint of the latest Nikon's is the font.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Not to mention the picture of the drywall screw they put above the remaining exposure count. That's just weird. I mean, how minute is the differentiation between this and the picture you get when you "nail" the exposure, as opposed to screwing it up?

Nikon D40 + kit lens

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund View Post
    The one thing that would bother me is the white balance. Out of camera jpg is supposed to be a strength for the Canon cameras, but Jeff was unable to get WB right in jpg and had to switch to RAW. Phil basically found the same thing under indoor lighting. People who shoot jpg generally want to do less post processing, so this seems to go a bit against the grain.....
    This is now why I shoot almost exclusively RAW; IMO, there is just no better method for getting WB correct than tweaking it just how I want it on a callibrated monitor, prior to conversion to jpeg. Its a bit of a pain at times, but when I get the colors just right, its worth it; if the colors aren't correct, nothing else matters.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    My (still over half full) Newcastle Brown Ale says: "Pshaw! Go for it!"

(Pshaw being the British touch)
    if you like newcastle try Warsteiner...those are my 2 favorites...but Warsteiner has the win
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/artisticrichmond

Nikon D300 Nikon D40
    Nikon 18-55mm / Nikon 50mm F1.8D / Nikon Af 70-300mm F/4-5.6G / Nikon AF-S 80-200mm F/2.8 / Tamron Adaptall 70-210mm Macro

1 Smith Victor Strobe / 2-SB-800 / 1-SB-600

soon to get
    Nikon 14-24mm F/2.8
    Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8

Thanks, I shall try it out one of these days. I'm biggest on Guinness, myself, but Newcastle is a close second.

I also got a Traquair House Ale ("a handmade ale brewed in the ancient brew house of the oldest inhabited house in Scotland") which I've yet to try... it was $6.50 for the single 12-oz. bottle (!) but I got it free for trading some produce. Should be interesting.

Not that I drink much, or often. But 'tis good once in a while.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens