Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Since I'm not a gear whore I was very pleased with the 40D and the review.
    I see a significant improvement over the 40D.
    Perhaps not all image improvement, but overall.

The 30D improvement over the 20D was FAR less significant.

It just seems like now it's Canon's turn to take the heat and Nikon can now take center stage.

I mean, really-who cares!?

The A700 review will leave many wanting more.
    Sure its a huge deal over the A100--but they are not in the same line.

I suppose without inbody IS, a certain someone would not have anything positive to say.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

The one thing that would bother me is the white balance. Out of camera jpg is supposed to be a strength for the Canon cameras, but Jeff was unable to get WB right in jpg and had to switch to RAW. Phil basically found the same thing under indoor lighting. People who shoot jpg generally want to do less post processing, so this seems to go a bit against the grain.

Other than that, there's a lot to like about the camera. Even the new 3" LCD is finally forcing Canon to produce a "man sized" camera. But that's a personal preference.
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

I like the 40D. I included my personal file on it for those that need direct access to the documentation, tips, techniques, and customer service links.

Canon 40D

Why on earth doesn't Canon add a AF-assist lamp so you don't have to manually close the flash before taking a no-flash shot in low light conditions? I mean, you're spending big bucks for a very nice DSLR, but this particular feature seems so backwards.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    Why on earth doesn't Canon add a AF-assist lamp so you don't have to manually close the flash before taking a no-flash shot in low light conditions? I mean, you're spending big bucks for a very nice DSLR, but this particular feature seems so backwards.
    I really have to agree. It does seem extremely odd. Even my little S3 had an AF lamp not connected to the flash.

I understand that flash-assist tends to work better, as it's brighter, but there are times when we don't want a low-light environment punctuated by sudden white strobing. And yes, manually closing the pop-up flash before taking a shot, on a semi-pro, "enthusiast" camera... well, I'd have to be pretty enthusiastic not to get tired of that real quick.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Considering a great number of people buy a DSLR for the fact that it has a usable ISO 1600 that you just can't get out of a P&S, there's no logical argument for attaching the AF beam to the flash.

Having said that, the AF in low light isn't bad, and honestly, if I find myself in a situation where the light is so low that the camera isn't focusing properly, then it's a situation where I need to use the flash anyway.

Still though, you're right, and I can't find any logical explanation for a 6th generation high end camera to not have addressed it. +1 for reasons it's not a big enough improvement for me to upgrade to a 40D.

That's my biggest complaint, the lack of an independent AF beam is a hugely missed feature.
    Far more important than a better battery door, mirror lockup button, or anything else.

I tried to take some pics in LOW light at a renaissance festival and the subjects would move once the AF light flickered thinking the flash was over and picture was taken--freakin' annnoying!
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

I have never had a problem with white balance or ....

low light focus. Why?
    To get rid of the low light focus assist, you just turn it off. The camera focuses in near darkness quite happily without it.
    The first thing I do when entering a situation with different lighting is set a manual white balance. Problem solved.
    Dpreview ie. Phil has said the same thing about canon white balance for years and it has never worried any of the 100s of thousands of canon users. If it had, no one would have bought the cameras.

Sel ....

Quote Originally Posted by selnz View Post
    low light focus. Why?
    To get rid of the low light focus assist, you just turn it off. The camera focuses in near darkness quite happily without it.
    The first thing I do when entering a situation with different lighting is set a manual white balance. Problem solved.
    Dpreview ie. Phil has said the same thing about canon white balance for years and it has never worried any of the 100s of thousands of canon users. If it had, no one would have bought the cameras.

Sel ....
    It's not so much that you CAN overcome these irksome problems, it's the fact that after 6 generations on a high end camera, we shouldn't HAVE to. Not so much a deal breaker as to make it a bad problem, but something that has been annoying for multiple generations with no fix.