Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Looking at the XTi

I've been told to make a wish list for my graduation gift. I'm looking at the Canon XTi. I've been reading the specs and reviews but I would like to hear from those of you that own this camera. What do you like? don't like? I'd also love it if u could post some pics that you took with it, especially ones at higer ISOs.

Plus if you could buy one lens to start with which one would you recommend? I like to take lots of portrait shots, landscape, and action

I went in the store to check it out and ask some questions but the sales person was useless. Wouln't even show me how to use it. Just said oh yeah it's like every normal camera, even when I told her I had never used a dSLR before.

Thanks everyone
    Happy owner of a few canon cameras

Canon 40D
    Sigma 18-200 f3.5-6.3 DC OS
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 420ex
    UV Filter

Canon S3 IS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69023502@N00/

Quote Originally Posted by danidabi View Post
    I've been told to make a wish list for my graduation gift. I'm looking at the Canon XTi. I've been reading the specs and reviews but I would like to hear from those of you that own this camera. What do you like? don't like? I'd also love it if u could post some pics that you took with it, especially ones at higer ISOs.

Plus if you could buy one lens to start with which one would you recommend? I like to take lots of portrait shots, landscape, and action

I went in the store to check it out and ask some questions but the sales person was useless. Wouln't even show me how to use it. Just said oh yeah it's like every normal camera, even when I told her I had never used a dSLR before.

Thanks everyone
    Go for it. You certainly have the skill to put it to good use. The only thing not to like about the XTi (and the XT), in my opinion, is the fact that there is only one control wheel. So, when in manual mode, to change the shutter speed, you just turn the wheel with your index finger...but...to change the aperture, you have to hold down the Av button with your thumb AND turn the wheel simultaneously. A royal pain in the ass...but you'll get use to it. You'll probably use Aperture Priority (Av mode) 80% of the time anyway.

The one lens to cover all of the things you want to cover with one lens? The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM. It can do it all, and then some!

Your S3 has been a great training tool...and you are already a good shooter, so the step-up will be easier than you think.
    Last edited by JTL; 10-23-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

I love mine. It's small and light. It takes great pictures. You can see mine in the link in my sig, below.

Lenses. How much you got to spend? If money isn't an object, I'd say the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. The Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro is half the price and a good lens.

Even though I really like my XTi, I'm lusting after the 40D for the higher ISO, the bigger & brighter viewfinder, the Live View, and other improvements. But still, I highly recommend the XTi.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

K one thing. Lens and camera under $1k I figure.

The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    Maybe something a little cheaper

Canon 40D
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 420ex
    UV Filter

Canon S3 IS

The Sigma 17-70mm is a great walk around lens, great for landscapes, portraits and action that produces sharp images with great color and contrast. Highly recommended! Plus, it has decent macro performance. It, with the XTi, puts you right at your budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._DC_Macro.html

If you stretch your budget just a little, you can get the Sigma 18-200mm DC OS which will give you telephoto range (and image stabilization) more like what you're use to with the S3. I own this lens and have gotten very good results with it. FYI, all the Sigmas "focus-hunt" a little in low light (just like the S3), but, for the price, you get a lot of lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_DC_OS.html
    Last edited by JTL; 10-22-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

There's a couple high ISO images in the XTi review gallery. For the lens, my vote would be for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. You'd get enough wide angle to do some landscapes and just enough reach along with the big aperture to do some portraits.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Depends where you gonna spend that 1000 dollars. In Canada prices are different than States.

As a low-end DSLR, the XTi is great. It's very capable and fast, and is a tremendous bargain considering its features and image quality. I use mine to shoot both nature photography and at events (I donate services to non-profits). I'm at work right now so I can't post any samples, but will when I get home tonight. I shot at a charity run/walk a couple weeks ago in rain/dark skies and worked exclusively at 800 and 1600ISO. There is a subtle grain to shots at 1600 on the XTi, but it's not unpleasant. I recommend shooting RAW and using software like Lightroom that can intelligently remove some of that texture without ruining detail.

The one complaint many people have is that it's small -- too small for some large male hands. I feel like it's right on the edge for me -- a little beefier of a grip would be nice, but I've never fumbled with it or felt like I couldn't hang on. Canon makes a nice if spendy battery grip that solves this issue for many. The lack of a secondary scroll wheel like on Canon's other DSLRs is a shame, but the controls on the XTi are quite usable and well thought out. Their layout does seem to slightly favor aperture-priority shooting, as someone said earlier, which is likely how you'll use it most of the time anyway.

I'll second the recommendation of the Tamron 17-50. It is an inexpensive, capable first lens (it was my choice when I got my XTi), although it plus the XTi will likely put you closer to $1100US. The image quality of this lens is excellent -- on par with Canon's 17-55 EF-S that's almost twice as much. Its build quality is a little suspect, however (very plastic-y) and the non-USM focus motor will drive you nuts in low light (zip! zerp! zip! zerp!) but the photos you'll get from it will make you happy. Plus it's a great walkaround focal length for a crop body like the XTi.

I will say, however, the 24-105L is in a class all by itself. It's my primary lens right now and I love it so very much. L lenses are an investment, not a purchase, and if you are at all attuned to the subtle and not-so-subtle differences of truly top-tier glass, they are worth every penny.

Good luck and have fun. Again, I'll post some samples once I get home.
    Last edited by andrewbw; 10-23-2007 at 07:05 AM.

I have an XT and a 20D the XT is very nice camera. Great image quality even at ISO 1600.

Here are some samples with no noise reduction. Sorry I don't have 100% crops but I can make some up if you really want me to.

With the 35mm 1.4

The cheep lens. 50mm 1.8

This one might be ISO 800
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Wow thank you guys so much for all the information!!! I knew I was better off asking you guys then some random sale person in the store. I'll take a look at the lens recommendations in more detail later, I skimmed them today

As far as money goes. Obviously I will be ordering it online or in the USA. My aunt lives in a border town so it's a short skip from her place to Spokan, WA. The local camera stores here in Victoria haven't lowered their prices yet to match the deals we get in the US with our dollar being so nice right now Futureshop is even about a $100 more the B&H online.

Canon 40D
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 420ex
    UV Filter

Canon S3 IS