Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Apature

You guys are going to blow the OPs mind with this crap.. Wont lie though it is the most entertaining thread Ive ever read on this forum
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    Who cares about winning or losing arguing with a stranger on the net. We just have to correct some lunatic thesis so it doesn't confuse some newbies who might be seeking facts in here.
    Uhm...how about the long list of people arguing with him? He was corrected on the first page of this thread. We're now on page 8.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

TheWengler
    He brought it upon himself by arguing and back up with some theory every single page of this thread; and that's how this thread grows to 8 pages.
    However, I'm not going to start arguing with you now as RAZR keep saying it 'this thread is not about razr..."
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    the lens has no bearing on the shutter speed so it's not relevant in the slightest to this discussion.
    The lenses (glass elements) have everything to do with the discussion.
    if the lens is just a tube with some glass in it what regulates the amount of light passing from the front of the lens to the rear element and ultimately the camera ?
    The aperture; of course.
    ie: where exactly are the aperture blades located ? or is that just an electronic figment of our imagination ?
    It would not make any difference where the aperture blades are located. The important matter is the aperture controls the amount (value of)of the light striking the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    This is such a complete waste of time ... and will only serve to confuse a poor newbie who takes the time to read it. If it were up to me ... I scrap the thread and sincerely hope to God no one ever reads it, again.

The futuility displayed here is beyond redemption.

7 pages of complete and utter BUNK!

Oh yeah ... just how do I stop up to Aperture f/2.8 ... on a f/4-5.6 lens? In Manual or Av? I figure I can save a lot of money on high-priced glass if we can figure that one out.
    LMAO...What took you so long to get here Don?

Quote Originally Posted by zmikers View Post
    LMAO...What took you so long to get here Don?
    He was too busy burning and cutting up pictures of the 40D!

The ultimate reality show. It's called One Camera, Two Men

Episode 1: Don and Razr are in a room facing each other across a table with a video camera rolling. Every week a new guest star appears opposite Razr. I'd never watch anything else!
    Last edited by JTL; 10-25-2007 at 05:46 AM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Quote Originally Posted by achuang View Post
    If you are unable to change your aperture in Av mode then there's something wrong with your camera.
    It is you who are misinformed about what Av mode is and does-see below.
    Aperture priority mode is the mode that allows you to be able to change your aperture
    ?? You cannot set the aperture (on one f/stop in Av mode) and then say: " allows you to be able to change your aperture". That makes no sense. You cannot set a camera one one f/stop in Av mode, then "allow it to change".
    and the camera decides on the shutter speed.
    If you read your own definition, it is not correct: Av mode means the aperture is locked on a given f/stop while the shutter is used to balance the exposure, as per Wikipedia (or any other resource)
    Aperture priority
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aperture priority, often abbreviated Av or A on a camera dial, is a setting on some cameras that allows the user to choose an aperture while the camera selects a shutter speed to match. The camera will ensure proper exposure. This is different from manual mode, where the user must decide both values, shutter priority where the user picks a shutter speed with the camera selecting the aperture to match, or program mode where the camera selects both.

The main purpose of using aperture-priority mode is to control the depth of field. Aperture priority is useful in landscape photography, where a narrow aperture is necessary if objects in foreground, middle distance, and background are all to be rendered crisply, while shutter speed is often immaterial. It also finds use in portrait photography, where a wide aperture is desired to throw the background out of focus and make it less distracting.

Another common use of aperture priority mode is to suggest how the camera should decide a shutter speed, without risking a poor exposure. In landscape photography a user would select a small aperture when photographing a waterfall, hoping to allow the water to blur through the frame. When shooting a portrait in dim lighting, the photographer might choose to open the lens to its maximum aperture in hopes of getting enough light for a good exposure.

In addition, aperture priority mode allows the photographer to force the camera to operate the lens at its optimum apertures. Commonly, lenses provide greatest resolving power with a relatively medium-sized aperture.[/
    Do you and the others now get the fact that the aperture is frozen on one f/stop in Av mode? Get it?
    FYour camera seems to be the only one that can break what is called aperture priority.
    It is not me who has been struggling with what happens when a person chooses Av mode: it is you and they.
    It's aperture priority because the photographer chooses the aperture suited for a particular photograph to give a suitable depth of field.
    BINGO! Which at the same time, tells you why Av mode holds-freezes-locks the aperture on one f/stop (my original thesis), regardless of why the photographer chose or chooses to use Av mode.
    Got it?

Bingo!!

CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Enough of your mumble jumble and back to shooting higher than max. aperture.

Have you done this little simple test?

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

1) Turn the camera on
    2) Crank the zoom to minimum focal length ... for a 70-300mm, that would be 70mm
    3) Set the Mode dial to Av (for the sake of argument)
    4) turn your aperture ring or dial to MAX aperture (f/4)
    5) Ok ... prepare thy self ... crank the zoom in to 300mm
    6) Read the setting of the Aperture ... probably looks a hell of a lot like f/5.6 ... if not, its probably time for a new camera.

You don't have to touch anything other than the zoom ring ... when you set the Aperture to maximum allow width and crank the zoom out on one of these prosumer lenses ... it just changes ... Manual, AV, S, P, AUTO ... who cares ... it cannot stay the same physically, electronically or even with your internal metering. .....
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Enough of your mumble jumble and back to shooting higher than max. aperture.

Have you done this little simple test?
    Of course he hasn't, nor has he done mine either (same test) or he wouldn't be continuing in this BS. Matter of fact, I'm done with this thread as there is no sense in continuing.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by achuang View Post
    I think this is the problem that Razr has understanding. He thinks that when it's in Av that the aperture is stuck in place and that we can't change it.
    That is your gross misunderstanding of what I have said.
    I know the photographer can choose any aperture to use in Av mode. At f/whatever in Av mode, the camera is "boss", choosing the correct shutter speed to balance the exposure.
    And that the opposite happens in shutter priority mode where the shutter is "frozen" in place while the aperture "varies" as he calls it.
    Which is 100% correct in that the aperture does, in Shutter priority: vary (changes the aperture).
    But you knew that.
    This varying of the aperture is not the same as a variable aperture lens.
    Your own gross mischaracterization (misunderstanding) of what I have posited.
    Go to Wikipedia or read the definition above for what aperture priority is and does.