Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Apature

Say what you want about me being wrong Razr, but everyone else who has read what i posted knows it is correct. And prospero's post was a more detailed and very well written explanation of aperture size. What you're saying is that every person who has posted is wrong and that you're the only one who is right.
    My last post in this thread. Here are 2 links, have a read and learn to admit when you're wrong.

http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry....erturezoomlens

Nikon D700 | SB600 | SB-80DX | 2xSB-26 | 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 | 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G | 50 f/1.4 G | 105 f/2.8 VR | 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

flickr

For those of you who respond to Razr, does it really matter if he agrees with you or not? Every post that's not by Razr is against him. I'd call that a win. If you don't ignore the troll then he won't go back under the bridge. All that really matters here is that the TS doesn't leave misinformed.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero
    Actually, neither in aperture priority of full manual mode, the aperture is locked tightly in place. If you select the maximum f-stop at the widest focal length and you zoom in, you will see the f-stop change.

Just try it; if you actually posses the camera you claim you have....
    That's what I was saying. Apparently Razr keeps his cameras locked in a dust-proof hermetically sealed location to avoid descending to our level of brute amateurishness by actually putting a grimy paw on the shutter.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by achuang View Post
    My last post in this thread. Here are 2 links, have a read and learn to admit when you're wrong.

and while we're in an educating mood...here's another one you may need to read.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/maximum
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Ed just won't give it up!

It's so f 'in funny...I'm beyond peeing my pants...now I'm gaging on the up-chuck!!!

Thank you guys! This is the best thread ever!!!!!!!
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Exclamation The scary part ...

This is such a complete waste of time ... and will only serve to confuse a poor newbie who takes the time to read it. If it were up to me ... I scrap the thread and sincerely hope to God no one ever reads it, again.

The futuility displayed here is beyond redemption.

7 pages of complete and utter BUNK!

Oh yeah ... just how do I stop up to Aperture f/2.8 ... on a f/4-5.6 lens? In Manual or Av? I figure I can save a lot of money on high-priced glass if we can figure that one out.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-24-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    Why do you guys keep repeating that asinine conclusion when in fact, I have never mentioned such? You’ve already segued off topic. The topic is not constant aperture zoom(s) but does aperture priority lock the aperture in place no matter what: at least that is my thesis.
    Check page 1 post #8 where you wrote "The aperture stays the same in "Av" and "M" (MANUAL) mode, no matter what focal length you choose, making any f/2.8-f4.5 etc. lens a "fast"-constant apeture lens throughout the zoom range."

If Av (Aperture priority), the aperture (regardless of setting) is locked down tight and cannot move (open or close). Disprove my thesis by demonstrating how the aperture is not fixed in place in Av and M modes.
    It's very easy to disprove and we have tried to tell you several times, but you refuse to listen. Here goes one more try. Now follow along at home with your camera with a variable f-stop lens attached and the zoom set to the widest angle.

Turn camera on, take the lens cap off, and set mode to AV or M. Set aperture to the fastest you can.

Zoom the lens to its longest setting and take a look at your aperture now. It changed. You may have to half press the shutter button.

Now here is how it goes on my Canon 20D with the Canon efs 10-22 f3.5-4.5 lens attached. I've got it set to 10mm and in AV mode I set the aperture to f3.5. I then zoom to 22mm and my aperture has changed to f4.5. In fact, when this lens is set to 22mm the aperture of f3.5 is not even available to be set in AV or M or any other mode.

Now, is your post {The aperture stays the same in "Av" and "M" (MANUAL) mode, no matter what focal length you choose,} total BS or not?
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by D Thompson View Post
    Now, is your post {The aperture stays the same in "Av" and "M" (MANUAL) mode, no matter what focal length you choose,} total BS or not?
    Of course it is "BS" ... You can watch it happen dynamically.

1) Turn the camera on
    2) Crank the zoom to minimum focal length ... for a 70-300mm, that would be 70mm
    3) Set the Mode dial to Av (for the sake of argument)
    4) turn your aperture ring or dial to MAX aperture (f/4)
    5) Ok ... prepare thy self ... crank the zoom in to 300mm
    6) Read the setting of the Aperture ... probably looks a hell of a lot like f/5.6 ... if not, its probably time for a new camera.

You don't have to touch anything other than the zoom ring ... when you set the Aperture to maximum allow width and crank the zoom out on one of these prosumer lenses ... it just changes ... Manual, AV, S, P, AUTO ... who cares ... it cannot stay the same physically, electronically or even with your internal metering. Light is reduced in these cheaper lenses when you zoom in and stretch that lens tube. How much? In this case, ONE FULL f/STOP!

If you zoom out and return the the lens to 70mm ... the APERTURE returns to f/4.

That's it in a nut shell.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-24-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Of course it is "BS" ... You can watch it happen dynamically.

1) Turn the camera on
    2) Crank the zoom to minimum focal length ... for a 70-300mm, that would be 70mm
    3) Set the Mode dial to Av (for the sake of argument)
    4) turn your aperture ring or dial to MAX aperture (f/4)
    5) Ok ... prepare thy self ... crank the zoom in to 300mm
    6) Read the setting of the Aperture ... probably looks a hell of a lot like f/5.6 ... if not, its probably time for a new camera.

You don't have to touch anything other than the zoom ring ... when you set the Aperture to maximum allow width and crank the zoom out on one of these prosumer lenses ... it just changes ... Manual, AV, S, P, AUTO ... who cares ... it cannot stay the same physically, electronically or even with your internal metering. Light is reduced in these cheaper lenses when you zoom in and stretch that lens tube. How much? In this case, ONE FULL f/STOP!

If you zoom out and return the the lens to 70mm ... the APERTURE returns to f/4.

That's it in a nut shell.
    thanks for adding to the BUNK. it just wouldn;t be the same without you.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    For those of you who respond to Razr, does it really matter if he agrees with you or not? Every post that's not by Razr is against him. I'd call that a win. If you don't ignore the troll then he won't go back under the bridge. All that really matters here is that the TS doesn't leave misinformed.
    Who cares about winning or losing arguing with a stranger on the net. We just have to correct some lunatic thesis so it doesn't confuse some newbies who might be seeking facts in here.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB