Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Apature

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    In Av mode and full manal mode he can: In Av mode, the photographer selects f/2.8 and the camera body is forced to use the selected aperture.
    In full manual mode, the photographer selects f/2.8 as their shooting aperture, adjusting the shutter speed and ISO (if neccessary) to balance the exposure.
    ----
    You are WRONG. The photographer cannot force F/2.8 at full zoom on a Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-4.5. That's regardless of Av, M or whatever.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    (SNIP)Are you saying that on a f2.8-4.5 that you can select f2.8 in AV or M mode and and F2.8 is available throughout the zoom range?
    Yes, in Av mode.

He has never used an SLR, or SLR lens. That's all there is to it. That or he's a troll. Let this discussion of 30 against 1 (very undereducated person) die. Razr is wrong, everyone else has more than chicken noodle soup for a brain. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by D Thompson View Post
    OK, real easy, just a yes or no answer will do. On a f2.8-4.5 (using your example on this thread, page#1, post#8) I can use the aperture of f2.8 at any focal length the lens has? Mode is set to AV or M of course.

You can.

In Av mode and full manal mode he can: In Av mode, the photographer selects f/2.8 and the camera body is forced to use the selected aperture.
    In full manual mode, the photographer selects f/2.8 as their shooting aperture, adjusting the shutter speed and ISO (if neccessary) to balance the exposure.

Finally, we get a straight answer - albeit the wrong one. RAZR... You may considered yourself a pro and google and wikepidia all you like the fact is you can't use F/2.8 at 70 mm (on a 17-70 F/2.8-4.5). Regardless of Av or M modes you try to use. It's the physical limitation of the lens. And at 70 mm, F4.5 becomes the optimum aperture. Accept it mate.
    Last edited by tim11; 10-25-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

I'll repeat here: only in "P" and "S" moded does the aperture setting change according to the focal setting.
    IN "M" and "Av" modes, the aperture does not change until/unless the photographer sets (selects) another aperture-got it?
    "Av" and "S" modes immobilze (lock-freeze) the aperture.

This statement is just NOT true. I'm sorry, I've done it on my several cameras ... without firing a single shot ... and in the Av mode ... on a zoom lens:

1) focal length to minimum ...
    2) set a variable aperture lens to MAXIMUM aperture
    3) telephoto to the other side of the focal range

RESULT: the aperture will creep right up and close right down.

EVERY SINGLE CAMERA BODY, my friend. They all do it ... and I've got proof!

I'd make a movie of it ... but you can just get in your car, drive down to BEST BUY and do yourself ... live-action style. Living proof. There is no "locking" ... yes, if I return to the original focal length I started at, the aperture should and does return back to the original MAXIMUM. It does not stay at the higher aperture it got to.

By the way: "OPTIMUM Aperture" does not mean "MAXIMUM Aperture", "Optimum" is the photgrapher's choice for a particular type of shot. Be it in need of bokeh or light deficiency ... the photographer chooses the aperture from the available settings at that focal length. He/She chooses the "optimum" aperture and then the camera chooses the shutter-speed to support it. That is it.

My goodness ... this is a hard case.

You simply cannot get f/4 pounds of crap into a f/2.8 bag.

Look, I placed a chart at the very beginning of this thread to demonstrate EXACTLY what happens with two different lenses ... the 18-70mm and the 18-200mm. Please stop ignoring the rather simple and duplicatable facts and just accept this as common knowledge. Thank you ... and the horse you rode in on.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-25-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Troll - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

All this time, at the back of of my mind I'd like to believe he is in fact a troll for the reason I hate to believe anyone can be that stupid.
    Nikon D90, D80

For those of you wondering, Razr has NOT been an SLR owner, and is in line to order an Olympus E-3 that hasn't been released yet.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34858

After being an expert on the panasonic lens debate:http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...098#post258098

I suggest everyone add him to your mute list, as he's a moron who is just looking for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by griptape View Post
    For those of you wondering, Razr has NOT been an SLR owner, and is in line to order an Olympus E-3 that hasn't been released yet.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34858
    I understood the concept even before I got my D80. It's nothing to do with owning a DSLR.
    If I remember right RAZR also owns an FZ20 which has aperture of F2.8 throughout the range. I wonder if that him.
    Last edited by tim11; 10-25-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80

Yes, in Av mode.
    Ok I though you were maybe being a clever troll and arguing opening(aperture), but that statement is simply, utterly WRONG. If the maximum aperture of a lens gives you f/4.5 at 70mm, the maximum f stop it can give you is f/4.5, it's physically impossible to get any more light to the sensor. The lens diameter is simply not big enough to allow an opening any larger.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.