Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Apature

stop talking such complete and utter rubbish. max aperture is just that...MAXIMUM aperture. it cannot be changed regardless of what mode you shoot the camera in. no amount nonsense you try and use to justify your statement will change the fact that you're wrong. end of story.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    lol funny stuff. obviously the 4/3rd's system, LEICA and OLYMPUS have devised a way to counteract this issue. us canon and nikon fans have to just suck eggs. lmao
    Full manual (no connections to the body) nor Av operation (only the shutter is free to move) are not gender or brand specific.

All you have to tell me is: what happens to your aperture when you set your camera on "A" (Av) mode?
    Does it (can it) close down?
    And if your aperture can/does move in Av mode, please tell me how, since it has been immobilied by the camera (which is why they call it aperture [I]priority[/I]?

That's the really LOL stuff, since your cameras can and do break the law of Av photography.

of course it cannot be set wider than its max aperture. are you drunk ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Maybe Razr can tell me how to set my Sigma F2.8 max to F1.0?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by D Thompson View Post
    Are you serious????

Take any zoom with a variable range and try to get the widest aperture at the longest zoom. It ain't gonna happen, that's why it's variable along the zoom range. The only variable zoom I have is Canon's efs 10-22 f3.5-f4.5. There is no way in any mode, av, manual, or whatever, that I'm gonna get f3.5 @ 22mm. It won't/can't happen.
    I wonder why you guys cannot get over the word "variable". A variable aperture lens only functions that way when it is in full auto and shutter priority mode. Otherwise, in full manual or Av mode, the paerture is fixed.
    Let's take your thinking to primes -
    Let's not, since primes (by definition) are not, do not and cannot zoom, which make a dubious point moot.
    all I have to do is set mode to manual, choose f1.4 and my f2.8 suddenly gains that aperture? BS!
    Your question makes no cognitive sense. You posited an impossibility.
    I think you are playing with words. I guess you could say that yes, the aperture is fixed along the variable zoom range . , but you still ain't gonna get the widest aperture at the longest zoom.
    Think of it this way: when you set your body/lens on Av and zoom, what happens to the aperture?

Nothing
    : It's frozen in place: that's what "happens".
    Instead, your shutter speed "varies" (to balance the exposure).
    The opposite "happens" in "S" (Shutter priority) mode: your shutter is frozen in place while the aperture "varies" to balance the exposure.

Got it?

You've got to be kidding me, do you think the camera companies are lying to all of us? They say that the maximum aperture is f2.8-4.5 because it is just that. In aperture priority mode the the aperture is NOT locked in place. If I do it with my camera and put it at the widest aperture at wideangle, when i zoom in it does stop down. Mine goes from f3.5 at 18mm to f4.5 even in aperture priority mode. Just because you have removed the contacts which communicate with the body, the lens still has a physical limitation. that's why the constant aperture zooms cost so much. There was a thread like this a while ago, where a member thought that by using the aperture ring and shooting in manual mode that they were getting a faster aperture just because the aperture ring showed the max aperture value even when zoomed in. If I can find the post I will link it. But if you disable the camera control of the aperture by using the aperture ring and putting it on let's say the lens is 18-200 f3.5-6.3, put it on 200mm and f3.5 with the aperture ring. And try it the aperture controlled by the body where the max aperture at 200mm is f6.3 you will get the same shot that looks the same because you are not getting a faster shutter speed due to a larger max aperture.
    Nikon D700 | SB600 | SB-80DX | 2xSB-26 | 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 | 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G | 50 f/1.4 G | 105 f/2.8 VR | 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

flickr

what on earth are you talking about ? if you have an f4-5.6 lens as you move into the higher end of the focal range where the maximum aperture is f5.6, it CANNOT be stopped down to f4. period.

doesn;t matter what mode you are in. the aperture on the camera adjusts itself to the maximum physically possible with that lens at that focal point without you even touching the aperture setting. even when not on the camera, so there is no electronic connection to anything, just look through the rear element of the lens and zoom in and out and you can see for yourself the "movement" in the blades in relation to the focal point.

i'm finding it hard to believe we're even talking about this. it may very well be the most ridiculous discussion in the history of this forum.
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    I wonder why you guys cannot get over the word "variable". A variable aperture lens only functions that way when it is in full auto and shutter priority mode. Otherwise, in full manual or Av mode, the paerture is fixed.
    Then please tell me why my efs 10-22 f3.5-4.5 will only open to f4.5 @ 22mm? Yes, I can set the 20D to AV or M and it does not matter. f4.5 @ 22mm is it bud. I cannot set the aperture to f3.5 @ 22mm. Is this a factory defect?

Let's not, since primes (by definition) are not, do not and cannot zoom, which make a dubious point moot. Your question makes no cognitive sense. You posited an impossibility.
    What does zoom have to do with it since there is no connection. A lens is a lens and as long as the camera is set to AV or M it shouldn't matter going by what you say. And speaking of posting an impossibility!

Think of it this way: when you set your body/lens on Av and zoom, what happens to the aperture?

Nothing
    : It's frozen in place: that's what "happens".
    Instead, your shutter speed "varies" (to balance the exposure).
    The opposite "happens" in "S" (Shutter priority) mode: your shutter is frozen in place while the aperture "varies" to balance the exposure.
    OK, we agree on how AV & TV work. But you still can't get f3.5 @ 22mm on my lens. For that matter, any other variable zoom you cannot get the widest aperture at the longest zoom. Will not, can not, and does not happen. Got it?

Got it?
    I think most of us here have it, we're just waiting for you to get it.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    ----

All you have to tell me is: what happens to your aperture when you set your camera on "A" (Av) mode?
    Does it (can it) close down?
    And if your aperture can/does move in Av mode, please tell me how, since it has been immobilied by the camera (which is why they call it aperture [I]priority[/I]?

That's the really LOL stuff, since your cameras can and do break the law of Av photography.
    This is madness.... I won't be reading this thread anymore and this is my last input.
    Take the f2.8-4.5 lens as an example, and in Av or S mode you put it to max F2.8. Then on full zoom of course the aperture can close down to 4.5.

One thing can interfere with the law of photography: The law of PHYSICS, ie. Lens design.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor View Post
    (SNIP) The photographer makes it happen when he zooms the lens, thus changing the maximum aperture of a "variable maximum aperture" lens
    Certainly not a true statement with a manual lens, and most difintiely not true when a lens is set on an aperture in Av mode.
    such as the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 lens used as an example previously. Maximum aperture at 17mm = f/2.8, mamimum aperture at 70mm = f/4.5.
    True only if the lens is set on shutter priority or "P". Not true if set on Av or M.
    C'mon Razr, surely you know you can't make a lens aperture larger than its maximum value.
    Where did I say or infer such? Quote please.
    from Razr's quote: "Why argue with me when the Full manual and Av operational protocols define what will happen (or not)?"

Because changing a setting on a camera cannot change the makeup/physics of the lens. If it did, no one would ever buy those expensive 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. There would be no need.

Ray.
    The "physical makeup of the lens" is the elements, construction and lens openings. Only the shutter/aperture or both "change" to balance the exposure.
    Though when you inject and set the light modifiers, the light values that strike the sensor/film do change.

And the physics say if there is no shutter/aperture, light passing through the lens (light tube) is a constant.