Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad luck and irresponsibility = NEW CAMERA...(help)

So here is my situation..I have been a canon guy but always with P&S's. Well just here recently my first camera was stolen, so I bought a Canon SD800IS and loved it. Well with my luck, it was stolen again. So now I am jsut going to buy a "real" decent camera.

I have never owned a camera like this, but I have shot with a Nikon D50 and loved it!mmI take decent pics with p&S's so I am hoping with this camera I will be able to fall more into the photography wrld and one day make it a hobby/ "side" job of mine.

So with that, here are the things you will need to know.

Budget

* $700...may be ble to scrounge up a little more, very little! <$100

Size

* I don't care. I will say that small camera seem to be stolen or misplaced on my part...(Twice now) So the D40, XTI are good sizes. My wife has a P&S so I dont need one!

Features

*Megapixels- Anything over 7, I like to work with things in photoshop so the more the better!

*Zoom- I am hoping for interchangable lenses so I can buy new lenses for greater zoom. I do however like to zoom in, and love MACRO modes!

*Image Quality (scale of 1-10)- 9 or 10

*Manual controls- are a must!

General Usage

*Main Use- Cars, action shots!

*Large Prints- Sometimes but not often.

*Indoor/Lowlight- Love Low Light shooting...so Yes I will take a lot of low light shots.

*Sports/Action- Most Definately, love shooting moving cars.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Not Really...Just want a good camera!

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Canon XTI
    Nikon D40, D40X, D80

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    I like Image Stabilization and had it on the Canon SD800 and it was nice! Love Wide angels...but I think this will all be done with lenses on the cameras I am thinking of.

Thanks for all the help.
    ERIK

Well you won't be able to get lenses that cover everything on a tight budget. Here are a couple options:

Nikon D40, Kit lens, Nikkor 55-200 VR

Pentax K100D, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, then maybe the Sigma 70-300 Macro lens later, or replace them both with the Tamron 18-250

Canon XT you can get the same lenses available for the Pentax on this camera just in a different mount but the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 will also be available to you.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Who makes the best quality camera...one reason I ask is the canon P&S's always felt so solid being made of metal and all...

Also I found these online...good ideas or no? The reason I ask is the deals seem too good to be true, and I have had my share of "too good to be true" deals that didnt go so well in the end.

Canon XTI
    http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...620719&start=1
    Nikon D40X
    http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...807646&start=1
    Nikon D80
    http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...620995&start=1

They're all quality cameras. The XT/XTi don't feel as nice as the next level of Canon SLRs or the other brand SLRs. I would stay away from those deals. The D80 is probably beyond your budget. If you get the XTi then you'll limit your lens choices because the body will eat up most of your budget. Stick to Newegg, B&H Photo, Buy Dig...there's a thread in the "Where should I buy my camera?" section with a list of seller ratings.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Yeah...I was just reading it and saw the websites on the Bad list.

What camera has the best choices when it comes to lenses?

After your recommendations I was looking on newegg and am thinking of the D40 or the K100D...which of those two is a beet camera with more lense choises?

Im just scared of out-growing the D-40 but everyone says it is a great starter camera, and I have only had P&S's till now!
    Last edited by gsusmaniac; 10-21-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsusmaniac View Post
    What camera has the best choices when it comes to lenses?
    There is no "best"...only different. It all comes down to subjective personal choices. So, who's advice on the "best" would you take? The one that argues the "best"?

You can collect data, but it's you who decides what's best for you.
    Last edited by JTL; 10-21-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

I agree with JTL. There is no such thing as the best camera/lens. What best for person A might be worst for person B.
    When the XTi first released I remember a guy rambling on because it was badly designed..... blah blah.... "it's too small and I have very long fingers.. " so went the rambling... I don't see how it's Canon's engineers' fault if he was born deformed. Well..... just to stress the point there is no such thing as BEST.
    You can get advice, collect the information then put together what suits you and decided what is best for you.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

You should read the reviews on this site for those 3 cameras I listed earlier. Have you done that? The best lens selection comes from Canon and Nikon. Almost all of the 3rd party lenses are made in these mounts so that helps too. With the D40 you'll be limited to AF-S Nikon lenses and HSM Sigma lenses for auto-focusing lenses. The lenses you purchase will be more important than the body you choose. A lot of people end up buying a fancy body and a cheap kit lens. Doesn't make much sense. The D40 is good for beginners because of its price and it's user interface. Unless you can come up with a real reason to get something more expensive than an entry level SLR, I don't really see any reason. More MP doesn't mean better. There's no one camera that's the best. It depends on your needs and preferences.
    Lukas

Flickr

I read reviews for the D40, there are no reviews for the Pentax on Newegg...and it runs a little more money.

Where is a good place to buy the Nikkor 55-200 VR Lens?

I am not scared of a challenging camera as far as user-friendliness...I learn fast!

I am sorry I ask so many questions, I will most likely buy the camera tonight. Thanks Wengler for all the help so far!

You can find the 55-200mm VR Nikkor on any good online retailer, like B&H, or for perhaps the best price on Amazon.com (I bought my D40 there).

Both the Pentax and the Nikon are good cameras - the D40 has a more beginner-friendly menu system, and I also doubt you'll find quite as good a deal on an optically-stabilized, sharp telephoto as you have with the 55-200mm VR. Nikon very obviously put it out as icing on the (D40-series) cake.

Oh, and don't worry about megapixels; 6 is a lot to work with, when you can display a shake-free, well-exposed photo at 100% (100%! Coming from a P&S life myself, that was pretty amazing to me) and retain quality.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)