Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Need helping choose between the following

I've looked into the Canon A720 IS, SD870 IS, Nikon Coolpix S510 and S700, and Casio EX-V8, and just can't decide.

• I'm not to concerned about price on any of the above listed.
    • I really want at least an 8 mp
    • I like the idea of the 6x optical zoom on the Canon, but currently have a 3x and am fine with it.
    • I want the movie mode - I love it
    • I like the idea of a smaller camera, and the Canon is a bit bigger, but has excellent reviews - better than the Casio.
    • The new Nikons look awesome, but can't find any reviews.
    • I want to keep the IS (image stabilization)
    • And I appreciate the manual controls, but they aren't a huge deal

I currently have a Nikon 5900, and haven't had any problems with it. Just want to get a newer camera with more MP.

Any suggestions, what do you have or what have you heard about?

First, what do you expect to do with the more MP? It's mostly useful if you plan on making larger prints.

Three of the cameras on you list are ultracompacts without manual controls, two of the cameras have manual controls. Does that really matter to you? You will be able to take better images if you use the manual controls.

Why did you chose the SD870 versus the others in the SD-series? It's main selling point is the wide angle lens, is that important to you?

I like the idea of the manual controls, and I thought all of them but the SD870had manual controls.

I'm not planning on blowing up my pictures poster size, but sometimes I do make them bigger than an 8X10.

Wide angle lens isn't important, I was just told that the SD870 was so far the best in the SD series, but it shows you that I don't know much.

I've decided since the original post that I don't want the A720, I would like something smaller.

Some of the sonys look nice, and they have a good zoom too. Any suggestions on Sony. Do they have movie mode?

I'd really like a camera that doesn't have a long recycle time when you use the flash. Since most of my pictures will be indoors, I figure flash will be used often. I also would like one that takes good pictures for sports, my kids play tons of sports. I know I'm asking a lot, but hey, it doesn't hurt to find a good one that will last for a long time.

Really small cameras have really small batteries, which leads to longer flash recycle times.

If you look at the reviews & info section it lists which manual controls are supported by each camera. Unless it lists aperture and shutter speed, you really don't have manual controls.

I like the SD series, and wide angle and optical viewfinder was important to me, so I got the SD800. But you should look at the SD850 (optical viewfinder, 2.5" screen) or SD750 (no optical viewfinder, 3" screen) before the SD870 IMO.

All cameras have movie mode. Pretty much all have very good and very similar movie modes; the Sonys are no exception. The T-series is very small, but the reviews make it seem like there were too many compromises. I think the W-series is quite nice looking, and I especially like the burst mode. I don't like the Sony Memory Stick, but it wouldn't prevent me from buying a camera if I really liked it.