Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

a700 FPS question.

I see articles on the new 300x sony CF cards (45mb/second) coming out claiming that they will help the a700 shoot up to its maximum frame per second rate of around 5/second.
    Tests have been done on this camera without using these cards, and they're recording that speed already.
    I don't have this camera yet, but I'm curious what to expect with "normal" speed cards like an extreme 3 (20mb/second).
    Does card speed have that much affect? Cuz according to what I'm reading, it doesn't. But the companies are claiming something else.
    How will these fast cards affect the a100? Anything at all? Or is the camera itself just limited??
    Trevor.

Cool Speed indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegaboy View Post
    I see articles on the new 300x sony CF cards (45mb/second) coming out claiming that they will help the a700 shoot up to its maximum frame per second rate of around 5/second.
    Tests have been done on this camera without using these cards, and they're recording that speed already.
    I don't have this camera yet, but I'm curious what to expect with "normal" speed cards like an extreme 3 (20mb/second).
    Does card speed have that much affect? Cuz according to what I'm reading, it doesn't. But the companies are claiming something else.
    How will these fast cards affect the a100? Anything at all? Or is the camera itself just limited??
    Trevor.
    Please note that your shutter speed will dramatically affect the hi-speed fps performance. If your shutter is at 1/60 or slower ... you cut it by a significant amount. At 1/100 second or faster... you should be at maximum fps performance. You also better have some light. LOL

I use a SanDisk Extreme IV 8GB in my camera ... it is definitely affordable, so why settle for less in such a great camera? I get around 730 shots on it, using the maximum Quality = Ex. Fine resolution setting and Image Size = L:12M. I also have the Creative Style set to AdobeRGB and the sharpness cranked up to +3

I figure, go big or stay at home.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-11-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You risk putting all your photo eggs in one 8MB basket, though. Contrarians, or those currently or formerly on a budget, meticulously collect a handful of 1 and 2 gig cards to spread the risk of losing everything on a defective card. I can get a respectable 93 RAW shots on a 1 giger, which seems reasonable - though I rarely use my 3-shot limit burst mode :-)
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

I have a 4 gig card that I bought at the time of purchase, and will be getting either 1 or 2 gig cards from now on. If I lose one, or a car corupts, I don't want to risk losing everything on one card.

That being said, I was more asking about frames per second being affected by card speed. Don, have you been getting 5 frames per second? If so, can you try a slower card and still get the same 5 per second, with all other settings being equal?
    Trevor.

I would suppose the camera's buffer is the "magic" behind the frames per second speed, not the card it is writing to. I also cannot attest to the lower file sizes and whether they factor into the equation for speed. I suppose they might ... but I am shooting the largest file size available ... on a routine basis.

Out of the manual, for "continuous shooting"
    • When the built-in flash is fired, images are shot after the flash has been charged.
    • When the focus mode is set to Continuous AF or Automatic AF, the focus is set separately on each image. When set to Single-shot AF, the focus is fixed on the first image.
    • The last image is displayed in auto review.
    • The number of continuous shooting images obtainable has an upper limit.

The maximum number of continuous shots

RAW . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18 images
      cRAW . . . . . . . . . . . . 25 images
      RAW & JPEG . . . . . . . . 12 images
      cRAW & JPEG . . . . . . . 12 images
      Extra Fine . . . . . . . . . 16 images
      Fine/Standard . . . . . . . No limit (Until the memory card is full)

* When [Image size] is set to [M:5.6M} or [S:2.5M], the shooting speed is slightly slower when shooting the forth and following images.
    * These numbers depend on the writing speed of a memory card, the shooting condition, etc. So, use the table only as a guide.

I hope this is helpful.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Shuttering in my boots

So ... there I was ... on the edge of my seat ... peeking through the viewfinder. As I ranged in ... my finger crept toward the shutter-release ...

"flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip ..." -> Twenty-five shots and still going, at extra fine resolution ... at about 4.5 fps. Heck, I felt like I was making a movie. Their is no "burst mode" that I found ... it just goes until the memory fills up or the batteries drop dead. I suppose this would be handy for that toddler darting across the lawn or the young man swinging at the low and on the money pitch .... crack! As you try and follow the ball into space!

Although ... I have wondered if the camera's fps will automatically follow the film speed in AUTO ... slowing or speeding up, as you run into various exposure situations. Ah, food for thought on another day.

The A700 is noticably quieter than the A100, that's for sure, sounding more like the Minolta film cameras of old, rather than the Canon EOS series or even the SONY A100.

flickr & Sdi