Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lens of the Year: Panasonic 14-150

POP PHOTO Lens of the Year:
    Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH (ED)

Panasonic hasn't had a new D-SLR since last year's DMC-L1, but its soon-to-be-released zoom -- no bigger, amazingly, than the existing Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 -- is the Four Thirds digital system's answer to 35mm's all-in-one 28-300mm zoom. Unlike most of its full-frame counterparts, though, it has built-in optical image stabilization (Panasonic's Mega O.I.S.), a valuable asset for sharp handheld shooting at its longer focal lengths. With 15 elements, including four aspherics and one ED, the 14-150mm is also the first Leica D lens to incorporate built-in ultrasonic focusing (XSM, for Extra Silent Motor). That aids stealth with the low-profile Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 or Leica Digilux 3. Close focusing to under 20 inches permits reproduction ratios as high as 1:3. Yet for all its modern advantages, this winning lens has an old-fashioned manual aperture ring.
    The beginning of the 4/3rds lens "explosion", this one with built-in image stabilization. at least 8 more 4/3rds lenses will appear by spring of 2008.

Sounds cool. I have to do a little more reading on the 4/3rd system.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

I have my suspicions that the 4/3 lens "explosion" may be something along the lines of *poof*.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    I have my suspicions that the 4/3 lens "explosion" may be something along the lines of *poof*
    Then again, if you don't own or use the 4/3rds system, eight new lenses wouldn't register at all on you-correct?

there are that many lens/ camera of the year awards in so many different categories that eveything's bound to win something at one point or another.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    POP PHOTO Lens of the Year: Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH (ED)

The beginning of the 4/3rds lens "explosion", this one with built-in image stabilization. at least 8 more 4/3rds lenses will appear by spring of 2008.
    Is this the same lens that POP PHOTO said:
    DPReview now lists the release date for "around" November. No price yet, though, but I can't imagine that it will be anywhere near what POP PHOTO listed.

Ray.

Eight new lenses, always nice, yes? I believe Nikon just announced a similar amount of new AF-S lenses in conjunction with the D3/D300. They look pretty sweet... but are all very expensive. If the majority of these 4/3 lenses are pricey as well ($999 is kind of up there), it's not going to make much of an impression on the folks who use a E-300 or E-500 because of the value price they got it for.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    Eight new lenses, always nice, yes? I believe Nikon just announced a similar amount of new AF-S lenses in conjunction with the D3/D300. They look pretty sweet... but are all very expensive. If the majority of these 4/3 lenses are pricey as well ($999 is kind of up there), it's not going to make much of an impression on the folks who use a E-300 or E-500 because of the value price they got it for.
    There are those like myself, to whom $999 is a rather "modest" sum for what we want to use. The E-3 will make the new 4/3rds lenses worthwhile.

In the same vein, we must agree that not all Canon DSLR shooters use "L" lenses or EOS 1 DSLR bodies.
    Nor will all (not even most) Nikon shooters ever hope to own a D-3 DSLR.
    There are tens of millions of EOS shooters using various models of the EOS starter DSLR "Rebel" bodies with cheap “kit” lenses, as do the vast majority of Nikon shooters use cheap Nikon "kit" or lesser third party lenses.

We must also remember the 4/3rds system is still "new" and must, as did the EOS system, grow its lens repertoire.
    I own an E-500 and E-510 and anticipate the release of the E-3.
    In anticipation, I also bought the 35-100 f/2.0 zoom and plan to purchase the 14-35 with the E-3 as a “kit”.
    I prepared for the Evolt system the past three years by dumping EOS bodies and a plethora of “L” lenses, as have more than a few owners of EOS and Nikon “Pro” gear.

So while the cost of any new gear might be problematic for many, for some of us, we are fully poised and prepared to make the move to 4/3rds without undue fiscal trepidation.

Some have said the 4/3rds 35-100 is “too large” and expensive, them pointing out the 35-100 is larger and more costly than my EOS 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens.
    I delight in pointing out my 35-100 only cost $500+ more for one full stop of extra light (f/2.0 Vs. f/2.8). Besides, the 510 and the upcoming E-3 have in-body image stabilization. Even better, many LEICA 4/3rds lenses have image stabilization built into the lens, the import being when used on a PANSONIC-OLYMPUS image stabilizer body, both stabilization systems (body-lens) work together.

4/3rds also has the ability to shoot Pentax screw mount lenses, Pentax “K” mount (all), Nikon, Canon FD & EOS and some nine other lens mounts, including LEICA.
    The 4/3rds system is not as “handicapped” as others like to pretend, especially since any 4/3rds body can shoot all those other mounts.

So any present “handicap” in the small number of 4/3rds lenses is easily enough made up by us shooting Pentax Takumar 500mm, f/5.6 lenses or their Pentax SMC 250-600 f/5.6 “Pro” zoom.

I take huge delight in knowing my lowly E-510 can easily enough mount and shoot my Canon FD 50mm f/1:1.2 asph. lens, at least until LEICA-PANASONIC-OLYMPUS get around to making a similar uber-fast 4/3rds lens.

The best thing about those cheap 4/3rds bodies? They too can shoot all those lens mounts: imagine: a $40 50mm Canon f/1.4 (FD) on an E-volt 300 or even 330:
    YUM!

Right; I'm just pointing out that a large amount of the current 4/3 following may be those who have strict budgets in mind.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    both stabilization systems (body-lens) work together.
    How exactly do they make that work? Seems like 2 IS systems would just confuse eachother while trying to correct camera shake. Just wondering.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz