Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs up SONY A700 & 90mm

The TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO showed up, this afternoon.

Finally, portraits again. Hey, I was never a big portrait taker. I may have to do that on Friday night's class, though, so it's just in time, as usual.

I have to admit, it seems sharp as a tack. I suppose taking the faces, though ... I may have to reach for a diffusion filter or some such. Soften things up a bit, without sacrificing focus. Seeing skin pores hasn't ever been that photogenic to me.

The fun continues ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-09-2007 at 08:43 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

No need for a filter Don, just shoot with the sharpness at a normal level.

Hahah, I'm glad you got your lens, hurry and show us some work!

BTW, have you seen the new Sony sensor technology?
    http://yourphotoarchive.com/sony.htm
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Talking For the "gearhead" in all of us ...

Okay ... I did a couple back-to-backs, swapping glass, with the α100 and its "pop-up" flash. I figure that's a fun shoot ... anyone else should be able to copy.

Here is the looking at the TAMRON 180mm f/3.5 on the SONY α700.
    Name:  taken-with-90mm.jpg
Views: 2859
Size:  230.3 KB
    EXIF: 90mm - f/9 - 1/60sec - ISO-400 - Manual

Here is the looking at the TAMRON 90mm f/3.5 on the SONY α700.
    Name:  Taken-with-180mm.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  224.9 KB
    EXIF: 180mm - f/9 - 1/60 sec - ISO-800 - Manual

Sharp as heck ... you just gotta go with glass like this.

I know, I know ... "darn it all Don, don't you have anything else other than lenses to photograph?"

The answer is, of course ... "NO", unless you count the cameras that go along with them.

Name:  Minolta-SONY-glass.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  228.6 KB ... it covers a table ... and that's not all of it. I used the α700 and the 90mm to take the shot and the four Adaptall 2 lenses are still in the bags ... and three 9000s are in their respective bags with mounted glass.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-09-2007 at 07:46 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

that's impressive!
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Cool Frankly,

It's just a start.

I still have the new 70-200 f/2.8 decision to make, at the end of the year. That's always fun.

I need to relieve myself of the remaining Canon lenses and flashes. It all sits idle, in the boxes ... awaiting another photographer clever hands.

Circulating glass ... is the way.

Like I stated, earlier, Friday should provide some opportunities to make use of the 90mm f/2.8 in the school studio. I will, most, likely, be using hot lamps (3200K) as the lightsource. Having the wider aperture available should make for better imaging, overall.

I mean, it's not the SONY 35mm f/1.4G ... wink wink nudge nudge. (Man, that's an expensive little jewel.) The Tokina AF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 while nice and sharp in the open air, just lacks something indoors. It is still my recommendation for a very reasonably-priced wide lens. I guess you make do.

Like THEY say: "That camera of yours ain't much ... until you hang a piece a glass on it."

Hear, here! LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-09-2007 at 08:42 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan View Post
    No need for a filter Don, just shoot with the sharpness at a normal level.
    You know, I was thinking about your remark ... and the way the α700 shoots in "Fine JPG". You may just have something, there. It's worth a look.

Creating new solutions to apparent problems ... this is good.

Thanks
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-09-2007 at 10:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

I'm starting a "DonSchap" payment plan-weekly installments for eventual acquisition of great glass.

70-200 f/2.8, please.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Thumbs up Please drop off contributions in the hat

Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan View Post
    I'm starting a "DonSchap" payment plan-weekly installments for eventual acquisition of great glass.

70-200 f/2.8, please.
    Oh, it'll happen one of these days. I just need to get busy designing my upcomng but limited photography business and what I want to seriously specialize in. I still have a few months of work, ahead, finishing up school and associated training. Competition is tight ... up here, in Illinois, these guys have been around a long time and aren't exactly excited when someone competes with them.

I have some grandios ideas, but I need some capital investment to make it happen. If it took off, it would change studio photography in exciting and powerful ways. Just need a demo space to prove and improve the design.

Thanks for the get-'im-a-new-lens support! LOL

flickr & Sdi

Question How sharp an improvement over the 18-250?

I did an 18-inch shot between the TAMRON 18-250mm, set at 90mm, and the 90mm f/2.8 MACRO ...

This was the overall image ... top of my PC.

Name:  Audigy-2-shot.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  216.9 KB

Take a look ... at the 100% crops

18-250mm set to ~90mm @ f/5.6 (w/ pop-up flash)
    Name:  18-250-crop.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  127.1 KB

90mm @ f/5.6 (w/ pop-up flash)

Name:  90mm-crop.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  127.2 KB

You can be the judge, but I believe the 18-250 did a rather reasonable job, considering it's a utility zoom and not a PRIME.

"So, Don ..." you ask, "What about when you MACRO the same place using the 90mm with the pop-up flash ... uh, any sharper?"

Well ... here's the whole image (MACRO), simply resized to put on this website. Shadow is the lens itself, blocking the pop-up, but you can tell how close it was.

Name:  90-Audigy-macro.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  222.0 KB

So, now you have an idea of the difference between a crop of a 90mm shot and a full size image in MACRO mode. Hot stuff, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-12-2007 at 12:20 AM.

flickr & Sdi