Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lightweight with darkness all around

How about a 1000mm lens, that weighs less than a 50mm f/1.4?

Here it is ... because you asked ... well, kinda. I heard that: "What?"

Name:  A700-w-1000mm-reflex.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  222.6 KB

Some say, "That lens is better left in the case."

I say, "You may be right." LOL

If you really need some reach without toting a monster lens ... well, you probably should use the better lens and hire someone to tote it for ya. But, if you are supremely cheap ... and just have to get something to take that Bull Elk, standing out there waiting to take your hunting arrow ... this may be just the thing.

This is really a 500mm f/8 Reflex lens with its 2x extension tube on the back of it. It's completely manual focus with a fixed aperture. When you add the extension tube, the aperture goes from f/8 to f/16. I know what you're thinking ... f/16? Yeah ... so dark you can almost take sun shots and still get noise.

I break it out when I'm bored and want a challenge. The A700's Super SteadyShot does help it some what, but the focus on this is hardly what one might call "crisp." My experience in going to ISO-6400 only seems to take the shot from bad to worse. Anyway, thought I'd share that.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-12-2007 at 12:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Interesting.
    When will we see some ISO 6400 shot crops?
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Red face Time to shoot

Well ... I can probably post something later, this weekend. Side by side with the TAMRON Adaptal2 MF 200-500mm f/6.9 lens.

That way you should be able to clearly discern the difference at the same focal length and aperture. Maybe get some of the Fall-colors in the Cook County Forest Preserves, nearby.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi