Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Rebel XTi and studio flash

I just bought the Rebel XTi to start my digital pro experience and when I tried to use my high power studio strobe system I found no connection socket for the flash unit cable, so I tried to use the camera flash to activate the flash units as slaves, but blocking the light into my subject.
    Geee, I tried to sync the speed from 1/200 to 1/2 second and non of these speeds triggered nor synchronized the flash (when activating with camera flash). I have read that Canon suggests 1/60 for this purpose, but nothing.
    I have been using studio lighting for many years. I used then a tested camera hotshoe to PC adapter and a reliable sync cable. Again tried to sync the speed from 1/200 to 1/2 second with no vail.
    I was suggested to double check adapter and cable: nothing. I do not even get the camera to trigger the flash through the sync cable.
    If somebody can help, will very much appreciate.
    Or if someone knows how to address this issue directly to Canon.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jeronimus View Post
    I just bought the Rebel XTi to start my digital pro experience and when I tried to use my high power studio strobe system I found no connection socket for the flash unit cable, so I tried to use the camera flash to activate the flash units as slaves, but blocking the light into my subject.
    Geee, I tried to sync the speed from 1/200 to 1/2 second and non of these speeds triggered nor synchronized the flash (when activating with camera flash). I have read that Canon suggests 1/60 for this purpose, but nothing.
    I have been using studio lighting for many years. I used then a tested camera hotshoe to PC adapter and a reliable sync cable. Again tried to sync the speed from 1/200 to 1/2 second with no vail.
    I was suggested to double check adapter and cable: nothing. I do not even get the camera to trigger the flash through the sync cable.
    If somebody can help, will very much appreciate.
    Or if someone knows how to address this issue directly to Canon.
    Regards
    Hi -
    Welcome to the forum. First, you can't use the on-camera built-in flash to sync an external strobe because like almost all digital cameras, the XTi fires a pre-flash that confuses the optical slave on the strobe to fire too early. So forget that idea.

Since the Xti has no PC sync, you'll need to get a hot shoe adapter like this http://www.adorama.com/FAHSPCA.html?...shoe&item_no=3 to use a cable.

But save yourself the trouble of a PC cord and get one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Radio-Sl...QQcmdZViewItem As long as your strobe has a 1/4" input (or use an adapter if necessary) it should work fine.

Max sync speed is 1/200th with XTi.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Unhappy No flash triggering

Thank you for your welcome.

Believe me, I am not new with studio flashes. I have the adapter you suggest and a couple others. I have short circuited all posible options in the shoe and cable and work ok. Tested both as well with my Mamiya 6x6 film camera and work perfect. I made sure the shoe contact matched the camera contact. Nothing.
    I am using Manual mode since I do not need the exposure metering of the camera, instead I use my external exposure meter to measure different points of my subject and balance lighting. While the shoe is on the camera, the camera flash does not open even if I push the button. I wonder if there is some flash activation mode to set on the camera. I couldn't find it in the manual.
    And as I said before, I tested, in M mode, speeds from 1/2 to 1/200 and there is no actual flash triggering. I am afraid it may be a camera problem.
    Someone even told me to turn of the TTL mode, but I do not know how to do that; I supposed it is turned of in M mode.
    Any suggestion?

I am using my XTi with Novatron studio lights and also with
    Metz CT60 pro handle flashes. I've used with two set ups
    and both have no problem and sync up to 1/200. I use
    a Wein SSr-JR radio with out sync cord and I use a
    Wein hot shoe to pc (with resistor) sync cord. The hot shoe
    adapter works with the sync cord on the Novatron and
    the Metz units. I also have some older Metz 402 pro handle
    flash and they will not work with or with out the Wein
    adapter. CAUTION I'VE HAD TO HAVE 2 CANON EOS FILM
    CAMERA SHUTTERS ELECTRONICS REPLACED BY USING WITH
    STUDIO FLASH WITH OUT THE HOT SHOE ADAPTER WITH
    RESISTOR. I have 4 different hot shoe type flashes (Canon and
    Sunpack) and only one will work with the XTi even though
    they are designed for Canon cameras.

Oh - sorry, I didn't understand. Sounds like a problem with your camera. Send it in for repair.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...

Thank you all

Well. After a visit to the shop, my flash is now working. Donīt know what was wrong.

Your Advice about the hot shoe with resistor is great. Thanks.

same problem with rebel

I just bought the rebel xti and I have external studio flashes of 400 w, I usualy use it with the sync cord, but there is no entry at the cam, what is the best hot shoe adapter to use it with the cord??? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by maucouti View Post
    I just bought the rebel xti and I have external studio flashes of 400 w, I usualy use it with the sync cord, but there is no entry at the cam, what is the best hot shoe adapter to use it with the cord??? HELP!
    Go to a local camera store. You can get one for less than US$10. Or just get one off eBay.

what kind of adapter

I read I need to buy a hot shoe adaptor with a resistor, but I cant find that!

Quote Originally Posted by maucouti View Post
    I read I need to buy a hot shoe adaptor with a resistor, but I cant find that!
    Actually get one of these: best $20 you'll spend this year:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget