Oh look ... A 700!

Yep, fifteen minutes ago ... arrival.

So, Don ... what's in the box?

Nothing ... it's all out of the box!

Name:  out-of-the-box.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  219.7 KB

Taken with the A100 & 18-250mm lens + pop-up flash

No vertical grip, yet. It's due out next month ... but, it's on order. And get that most excellent "wireless" remote for shutter release and playback control. My gosh, you don't see that in other manufacturer's camera boxes, everyday, do you?

Time to play ...

My First A700 shot (below) using the same lens, nothing but converting from AdobeRGB to sRGB and a resize of a pretty darn big JPG ... and triggered by, what else, "wireless" remote! LOL

The "Subject" and rightfully so ... the SONY A100, the lil' 10.1 MP engine that did!

Name:  _DSC0001.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  226.2 KB

Taken with the A700 & 18-250mm lens + pop-up flash

The battery (NP-FM500H), had a 12% charge on it, upon arrival. It's cookin', now.

Okay, enough fun for the moment ... gotta get back to work and pay for this thing!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2007 at 08:23 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow, I'm happy for ya!
    I hope it is everything you planned for it to be.
    I'm a little envious.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Put it though its paces Don, give us the feedback.
    Kind of curious to see if this is indeed your Holy Grail.

Enjoy your camera my friend.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

Remember guys ...

"It's not the glass you put on the front of the camera ... it's the camera you put behind the glass." LOL Okay, okay ... my expectations aren't that grandios to be glass-independent, but it really does have a different feel to it than the A100 does. Call it ... "more grippable", if you will.

Also, their are two thumbwheels ... front and rear ... allowing independent control of Aperture and Shutter-speed. The A100 only had it on the front, near the shutter release. This is way user friendly.

Once my fingers begin to know and remember where these buttons are (with no DRIVE-WB-ISO knob to turn), it's going to save a lot of time not having to peek at the top of the camera to view the knob position to make 'setting corrections'. This really is the A100 redone and completed the way it should have been.

With the menu system, setting your colorspace is a snap, too ... so you can get that AdobeRGB setting vs sRGB in there early on.

I want to test the IS, later on ... and just see how stable it can be.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2007 at 08:26 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Having two wheels is something I never thought I would have cared about,
    but I was wrong. Man would that help a bunch, and I also prefer button clutter over deep in the menu settings.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

Man two wheels is a big deal.
    At least the 20D has the thumb dial and another wheel.
    I would prefer one near the shutter in addition to the two existing ones.

Another thing I would love is a dedicated AEB button.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Red face Two steps forward ... one back!

Well, it is a "two for two" day! My new MACRO lens arrived, also.

So ... (he said, as he looked narrowly down his nose and surveyed the landscape) it's raining! Of course, it is! All sunny and bright, yesterday ... now that I've finally got the new toys all ready to go ... the sun goes, too!

Who says the Great Creator doesn't have a sense of humor?

Anyway, that's for after 5PM ... now, just have to sit tight (on pins and needles, actually) and hope there isn't a tornando in the mix, also. Geez.

Whether I like the weather or not ... it is what it is.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-25-2007 at 01:34 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Went down to the local store today and low and behold, the dude I always deal with had a big grin on his face when I walked in. Before I could ask if my shutter release cable for my a100 had arrived yet, he had plunked the a700 down in front of me.
    The battery was just finishing its first charge. Lucky me, I got to set the clock and everything.
    Even from just shooting in the store with no card, I already have one word to describe this camera: "Wow!"
    Trevor.

You know ... it's just fun to play with, I feel.

As you look at the A700 ... the pure "button-ability" is kind of fun to run through ... and get to know. The workflow is so much nicer compared to the what you get when using the A100, and it's second selector knob.

Thinking back on the Canon EOS 20D (I have to reflect, because that baby is gone!), between the two dials (front and back), control is so much more "natural", than fooling around with that wheel/dial on the back that the Canon had. Some my disagree, but in the landscape position, the Canon put my thumb at an unnatural angle to manipulate the wheel. After a while (not very long) that gets a bit uncomfortable. With the two dials on the vertical grip, too ... well, again, far more natural.

I am anxious to spend some more time outside with it, but with school assignments piling up ... this may have not been the best period to have a new item in the inventory. Aw, who's kidding who? Bring it on!

FRIDAY is a "lab day" in Adv. Photography, so it's "shoot at will", if you will. Maybe I can use the studio for some roomy macro shots. I didn't have much lined up, but what the heck. You have to take those opportunities when they present themselves, right?

By the way, when using AUTO mode (only), the camera resets itself to sRGB shooting. You can change it to AdobeRGB, but when the camera is flipped off and back on ... -> sRGB. The other "Manual" Mode settings will remain in AdobeRGB, if you set them that way.

Also, AdobeRGB shots are labeled "_DSCxxxx", with the underscore as first character of the filename, instead of just "DSCxxxx" ... so you can tell right up front what you have.

A note about the WIRELESS REMOTE release control ... called the "Remote Commander" ... It has it's own separate mode to work in (preventing accidental shutter release unless you want it) ... and it just simply triggers the shutter release ... it does not toggle the focus mode, like the wired shutter releases do (where you "half-press" and the AF starts up). So, whatever you had focused on when you were BEHIND the viewfinder will stay in focus, without having to toggle the focusing mode from AF to MF. There is also a 2 sec delay button, which does the same thing, only with that 2 sec time pause between button press and shutter release. It may sound confusing ... but once you work with it for a few minutes, you'll get the hang of it.

I'm carrying the whole shebang around in a Tamrac Velocity sling bag ...

Name:  velocity 7x.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  6.1 KB

two lenses (180mm {mounted} and 18-250mm), the A700, the HVL-F56AM flash and, of course, the manual (LOL). It's just a little too new to forget that, yet.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2007 at 08:37 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Will you be buying a flash for it?
    If so, let us know how it works out.
    Oh yeah, and give me your Canon flash.
    K, thanks. Bye.
    US Navy--Hooyah!