Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Camera Recovery Time???

I am in the market for a new camera. I currently have a Nikon Coolpix 4600 and am not happy whatsoever with the recovery time between pictures.
    I take lots of action pictures in darkened catering halls, and it takes at least 10 - 15 seconds between shots to recover.

Is there any benchmark I can use that will let me know the cameras with the best recovery time in dark rooms?

If not, all advice is welcome.

I am currently contemplating the Canon S3 as it was the only camera I could find in Google that anyone mentioned a great recovery time. The price is right as I'd like to spend between $150 & $300.

Your thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!

You'll want to look for cameras that take 4 AA batteries so they have enough juice to cycle the flash. The Canon S3/S5, and A630/640/650 also.

An alternative is to get a camera that takes an external flash, like the S5 does, and use that rather then the onboard flash. That will also speed things up. I only mention Canons because I know them best, other brands have the same characteristics.

Thanks, David

So I'm on the right track with the S3/S5.

The 630 looks nice as well.
    I prefer the AA battery alternative as I already have about 12 Duracell rechargables that I use in my Nikon.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.