Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

cheap compact autobracketing camera

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

- As cheap as possible. whatever is reasonable for a camera that can take HDR pictures

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

- Small, compact. I want to be able to carry this in my pants pockets

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

- None

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

- 5 or 6. Just going to be posting this on the web, not printing them.

Do you care for manual controls?

- Not really, unless it's needed for most HDR pictures

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

- High Dynamic Range photography. HDR

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

- No prints at all

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

- Depends if it makes for a good picture.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

- Depends if it makes for a good picture.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

- None in particular

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

- Couldn't find good search results for exposure bracketing, so no particular models.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

- If the camera can do decent pictures with automatic exposure bracketing, then I don't need any special features. Although Image Stabilization might help a bit, it's not essential

Thanks!

Question Dumb question?

From me, that is. If you're only going to be posting on the web, never printing any shots, why is HDR your only important goal? Web browsers are certainly not HDR display vehicles, are they?
    Let a be your umbrella!

Good question. I already have a Fuji f31fd, but that didn't have automatic exposure bracketing. I plan to get an S3 much later on, but wanted a small, handy camera since I walk around a lot. It's handy to have a small camera to take along where-ever I go.

Why Web only? From what I can see, non-HDR and HDR are very different, even on the browser. A quick google search for : HDR comparison shows this link

http://backingwinds.blogspot.com/200...omparison.html

Even if I don't print it out, the HDR picture is much nicer for me. Me, being an amateur. I don't know if web browsers are HDR display vehicles, but I do know the HDR pic looks good

Red face I'll tell you my experience with HDR photos...

Quote Originally Posted by rodtan View Post
    Good question. I already have a Fuji f31fd, but that didn't have automatic exposure bracketing. I plan to get an S3 much later on, but wanted a small, handy camera since I walk around a lot. It's handy to have a small camera to take along where-ever I go.

Why Web only? From what I can see, non-HDR and HDR are very different, even on the browser. A quick google search for : HDR comparison shows this link

http://backingwinds.blogspot.com/200...omparison.html

Even if I don't print it out, the HDR picture is much nicer for me. Me, being an amateur. I don't know if web browsers are HDR display vehicles, but I do know the HDR pic looks good
    I use Panasonic P&S cameras, and Auto-Bracketing is available for all the ones I know about. What I've found is that the best HDR photos need to be taken from a tripod, which kind of cuts back on the portability of the small camera, if you also have to carry around a decent-sized tripod to be able to make the images. If you don't use a tripod, even with CS3's "try to fit images?" option checked, you lose some image size, and even within the final image there can be some weirdnesses. Especially if the wind is blowing!

You could look at the TZ3 (like mine), which supports Auto-Bracketing; I don't know the cheapest camera that still allows it, but check the Reviews section of this site to figure that one out. The TZ3 is on the upper limit of "pocketable," I've carried it in the front pocket of my blue jeans many times.
    Let a be your umbrella!