Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Which one - A700 or A100?

Ok ... first off ... the A700 is everything the A100 should have been, two years ago.

That being said, for all the the A100 delivers and can deliver, it is probably the "bargain of DSLRs."

So, which one goes in the shopping basket?

Well ... if you are seriously going to use what you buy ... it has to be the A700.

If you aren't going to touch the camera except for routine family shots and what not ... it's the A100, without a doubt.

Remember that both models use the same lenses, electronic flashes, releases and what not. The A700 is designed around more external expandability than the A100 was and delivers a higher ISO, more resolution and an improved anti-shake feature.

Again ... buy the camera you are going to use ... the A700 is the A100-refined to just the right degree to be ... primo.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile price matters...

Ummmm. the a-700 is sweet, but it's $1400 and the a-100 is $600. The a-100 is a still a fantastic camera and can be used for just about any dSLR needs. The a-700 is icing on the cake for the 'serious amateur'--but I would add the caveat 'serious amateur with money to spare'. :-)
    Allan Marcus

Sony A-100 (former KM 5D user)
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 10-20, 18-70 KM Kit Lens, Bearcan, 28-135 KM (walk-around lens), Sigma 135-400, KM 70-210 3.5, 5600 & 3600 flash

Smile The A700 has character

Here are some quick images of the ol' A700.

Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I will buy the 700 but not just now. I will wait until the price drops, as it did for the a100. I'm very happy with the alpha and it does everything I want in a camera.

want GPS

The only major feature I wish it had is GPS encoding.
    Allan Marcus

Sony A-100 (former KM 5D user)
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 10-20, 18-70 KM Kit Lens, Bearcan, 28-135 KM (walk-around lens), Sigma 135-400, KM 70-210 3.5, 5600 & 3600 flash

Thumbs up Always hope ...

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
    The only major feature I wish it had is GPS encoding.

That may come along with the "Send to HD" transmitter feature. You never know where you are ... when you are taking images, do ya?

Although, there is still the Full Frame entry which has still to be released. Might already be there.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-20-2007 at 11:37 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up It has been shipped ...

I just received word, tonight, that my SONY A700 is on the way. Not only that, Calumet Photographic sent word my TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD 1:1 MACRO is on its way, also.

Wow ... it'll be a first ... getting those two, together:

A fresh, new 12.2MP sensor coupled to one of the best MACROs made.

Just a blurb about the 180 from Shutterbug:

"Why would anyone opt for a 180mm (270mm equivalent in APS-C) macro lens instead of one in the 50-60mm or even the 90mm range? The two-word answer is “working distance,” that is, the distance from the front of the lens to the subject. At life-size (1:1) magnification, the working distance of Tamron’s 180mm macro is 25cm or about 10” (without hood), but it’s only 9cm (21/2”) with a 90mm macro and 5cm (2”) with a 50mm macro. This difference can be critical when it comes to spooking skittish subjects like insects or birds, and the shorter the working distance, the more difficult it becomes to illuminate close-up subjects by aiming lights in from the sides in between the lens and what you’re shooting. Being able to capture dramatic close-ups without having to get right up to the subject can also be very handy when shooting everything from flowering trees to small critters like squirrels and opossums. In short, a 180mm macro offers the advantages of a long telephoto lens and a macro lens rolled into one."

I mean, if you are out and about ... and need to swap your 18-250mm for the killer MACRO shot ... what better lens, eh?

Man ... GET THE SHOT!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-24-2007 at 08:46 PM.

flickr & Sdi

let me know if you end up having the very soft jpegs that folks are reporting.
    They are soft at all ISO settings apparently.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Cool Judging from the first and only shot ...

Okay, judging from the first and ONLY shot I've taken ... it's a little tough to say. I suppose there maybe something to that ... but, the A700's sensor (CMOS) is entirely different from the original A100 (CCD) sensor.

Looking at the two shots I took, at lunch ... there is some difference, but then again, I was "smart sharpening" up the image I took with the A100 for presentation purposes, not an image quality comparison, so it really isn't fair. There is no sharpening on the image I took with the A700. It's was simply converted and resized.

When the new TAMRON 180mm MACRO lens shows up ... then we can do so image comparison ... to a gnat's a** ... uh, make that 'behind', there are children present.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan View Post
    let me know if you end up having the very soft jpegs that folks are reporting.
    They are soft at all ISO settings apparently.
    Okay, there is another setting in Menu 1, under "Quality", called "extra fine". That may deliver the sharpness you seek ... I haven't played with it, but I'm already using it. It does use some media space, though. I have an 8GB Extreme CF card ... and I have this sneaky suspicion, I'm going to be very glad that I do.

flickr & Sdi