Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Which one - A700 or A100?

Ok ... first off ... the A700 is everything the A100 should have been, two years ago.

That being said, for all the the A100 delivers and can deliver, it is probably the "bargain of DSLRs."

So, which one goes in the shopping basket?

Well ... if you are seriously going to use what you buy ... it has to be the A700.

If you aren't going to touch the camera except for routine family shots and what not ... it's the A100, without a doubt.

Remember that both models use the same lenses, electronic flashes, releases and what not. The A700 is designed around more external expandability than the A100 was and delivers a higher ISO, more resolution and an improved anti-shake feature.

Again ... buy the camera you are going to use ... the A700 is the A100-refined to just the right degree to be ... primo.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile price matters...

Ummmm. the a-700 is sweet, but it's $1400 and the a-100 is $600. The a-100 is a still a fantastic camera and can be used for just about any dSLR needs. The a-700 is icing on the cake for the 'serious amateur'--but I would add the caveat 'serious amateur with money to spare'. :-)
    Allan Marcus

Sony A-100 (former KM 5D user)
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 10-20, 18-70 KM Kit Lens, Bearcan, 28-135 KM (walk-around lens), Sigma 135-400, KM 70-210 3.5, 5600 & 3600 flash

Smile The A700 has character

Here are some quick images of the ol' A700.

Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I will buy the 700 but not just now. I will wait until the price drops, as it did for the a100. I'm very happy with the alpha and it does everything I want in a camera.

want GPS

The only major feature I wish it had is GPS encoding.
    Allan Marcus

Sony A-100 (former KM 5D user)
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 10-20, 18-70 KM Kit Lens, Bearcan, 28-135 KM (walk-around lens), Sigma 135-400, KM 70-210 3.5, 5600 & 3600 flash

Thumbs up Always hope ...

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
    The only major feature I wish it had is GPS encoding.

That may come along with the "Send to HD" transmitter feature. You never know where you are ... when you are taking images, do ya?

Although, there is still the Full Frame entry which has still to be released. Might already be there.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-20-2007 at 12:37 PM.

flickr & Sdi