Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ERROR CODE 0x5b ON SONY A100 DSLR

I have a SONY a 100 digital SLR. New in April. In the past two weeks, irrespective of the lens in use (Minolta 35-70 and 100-300) if I try to shoot with normal daylight entering the lens I get a very slow shutter and the error message 0x5b comes up in the window. I can get nothing to work and I have to switch off. Switch on again and, if I point the camera down to the ground, or into a dark shady place, (ie a poor light source) the camera works fine - no problems. If I slowly raise the camera so that more light enters the lens then same happens again, very slow shutter speed and error comes up again.
    It looks like the system is being saturated and cannot cope. The ISO is on AUTO and White Balance is also AUTO. So I dont think I have the ISO set to 1600 or anything like that. (but the symptoms would indicate that something like that is the cause.

On switch on, the camera gives me the OK that all systems check out. Its only when I attempt a normal everyday shot with the camera at eye level looking at your everyday F8 at 125 type of shot.

Anybody got any ideas??
    Dave Llewellyn
    Swindon

Cool Warranty repair, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by davidlew View Post
    I have a SONY a 100 digital SLR. New in April. In the past two weeks, irrespective of the lens in use (Minolta 35-70 and 100-300) if I try to shoot with normal daylight entering the lens I get a very slow shutter and the error message 0x5b comes up in the window. I can get nothing to work and I have to switch off. Switch on again and, if I point the camera down to the ground, or into a dark shady place, (ie a poor light source) the camera works fine - no problems. If I slowly raise the camera so that more light enters the lens then same happens again, very slow shutter speed and error comes up again.
    It looks like the system is being saturated and cannot cope. The ISO is on AUTO and White Balance is also AUTO. So I dont think I have the ISO set to 1600 or anything like that. (but the symptoms would indicate that something like that is the cause.

On switch on, the camera gives me the OK that all systems check out. Its only when I attempt a normal everyday shot with the camera at eye level looking at your everyday F8 at 125 type of shot.

Anybody got any ideas??
    Dave Llewellyn
    Swindon
    Make use of that warranty ... sounds like a problem with assembly of the internals or a bad software load. What you are seeing is a rare issue, therefore it probably is a manufacturing burp.

You could confirm this by going to your dealer with your lenses and doing an identical activity with them. "Repeatability" is key to properly diagnosing & troubleshooting problems.

I do not have the 100-300mm, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Motel ... ok ok, j/k ... I do have a Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4 and I have not experienced any of these errors that you describe with my own SONY A100.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-11-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sounds like an aperture setting issue. For some reason your A100 has a problem when setting a bigger aperture, which blocks the whole camera software when making a photo and the camera treis to close the aperture in the lens.

Try the lenses on an A100 in a store, to rule out the lenses somehow are incompatible with the A100 now. Then let Sony figure out what is the problem with your A100.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thumbs up

Thanks you guys. I'll start the trek towards getting some response from Sony.
    Dave

Cool Look around for retail support ...

No local SONY camera outlet, huh?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

any updates here by any chance? i got this error on my 50mm but that is because the aperture grill was stuck.
    Best of Both worlds:
    dSLR: Sony a100 dSLR w/ kit lens (18-70mm)
    Minolta Lens Collection: 28-80mm xi, 70-210mm
    Point and Shoot: Sony DSC-T11

My photo portfolio

My Flickr

SONY is going to have to learn to take care of its own ... you have procedural problems, that's one thing ... but, when it comes to equipment failure ... that's the manufacturer's tidbit.

Contact SONY repair.

flickr & Sdi

most electronic stuff if there is a problem, it will be so hard to claim

the dead have risen

That old resurrection shuffle!

I haven't grilled any apertures. Are they tasty and do they come in sizes larger than 50mm?

LOL