Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A100 and heavier Minolta lenses

I recently purchased the A100 body with the intent to use it with the excellent Minolta glass that has been sitting in my camera bag since I went digital 3 years ago. So far I love it except for that noisy shutter. (There goes the candids of the kids

The older lenses are much heavier and larger then the new ones. I have a Minolta 70-210 that I love but it is so heavy and the A100 is so much lighter then the SLR that there is no counter weight balance for the heavy lense. I have a heck of a time holding the camera steady with the 70-210. I do have a tripod and monopod but the way I use this lens often does not lend itself to using either. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Paula

Lightbulb Consider a change ...

Quote Originally Posted by PEB View Post
    I recently purchased the A100 body with the intent to use it with the excellent Minolta glass that has been sitting in my camera bag since I went digital 3 years ago. So far I love it except for that noisy shutter. (There goes the candids of the kids

The older lenses are much heavier and larger then the new ones. I have a Minolta 70-210 that I love but it is so heavy and the A100 is so much lighter then the SLR that there is no counter weight balance for the heavy lense. I have a heck of a time holding the camera steady with the 70-210. I do have a tripod and monopod but the way I use this lens often does not lend itself to using either. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Paula
    The 70-210 or 70-200 lenses have always been heavy. At least 27 oz. up to 53 oz.! They can be formidable.

If you are just shooting the tots, you might want to consider a lightweight and more utilitarian lens, the TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF).

It only weighs 18 ounces ... and offer terrific focal range. When you zoom long, the maximum aperture is cut down a bit ... so try to restrict your telephoto to outdoor. But, all around ... it does a nice job. I recommend you find one and try it out. I use one, myself, for quite a bit of my routine shooting.

Name:  tamron 18-250 small.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  30.9 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don. I know I will eventually be getting another lens but will want to go for a 2.8. I think you mentioned that Tamron had a new one coming out. This actually isn't the lens I use to shoot the candids of the kids but it would be nice to have enough room to shoot the basketball games. Since the A100 wasn't in the budget but I wanted to get one while I still could the lens will have to wait a few months.

I know this was...is a fairly stupid sounding question but still looking for any ideas in the interim. Actually, it may be such a stupid question there aren't any solutions........

Thanks,
    Paula

I've actually been concerned about the strength of the mount area itself. Has anyone had any issues using large aperture zoom lenses? How strong is the front of the camera?
    Was the alpha really designed with these types of lenses in mind?

Paula, why do you have a problem holding the camera steady? Your right hand should be holding the camera, your left hand should support the lens (and operate the zoom ring when needed).
    And then it does not matter how light or heavy a lens is, since both are supported...

Yes, the Sony A100 si fine with heavier lenses. The lens mount will not all of a sudden break.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Cool Deliver the goods!

TAMRON announced there intention of the SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD back in March ... but I have yet to see it. I'm hoping it gets cut loose with the introduction of the SONY A700, here in "the States."

Timing is everything ... and if the TAMRON marketing group can successfully launch this, it will be a boon to all of us, because that SONY AF 70-200mm f/2.8 G has one heck of a price ... roughly $2,400. Don't get me wrong on this ... it's a great lens ... with an even WORSE price point. When Minolta sold it about three years ago ... it was only around $1700. The lens has not changed, it is identical to its original design, only that darn price.

The beauty of the TAMRON is that it is actually lighter than most other 70-200mm f/2.8s. That, in of itself, can save your wrists and arms from a rather torturous day of shooting.

But, as you said ... it has to be out there to buy one.

Name:  a001.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  20.8 KB

TAMRON ... we're still waiting. Bring on the Model A001
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-10-2007 at 06:19 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Coldrain,
    Sorry for the late reply. Responding to a forum at work is a no no and I don't always get to my computer at night. Re: your suggestion. That is exactly how I hold the camera and lens. Thinking maybe I was just a little crazy I tried it again....same problem. So I rescued the SLR from the camera bag and put the 70-210 on the heavier body and had no problem. The only thing I can think of is the counter balance of the body to the lens. Not sure why it is a problem for me. Doesn't seem to be for anyone else. Guess I'll just have to get the tripod out.

I have to say though....finally got to look at some of my test picture on the computer. At full view and even down to pixel level. I am impressed with this camera!

Thanks again,
    Paula

Cool What's going on?

Paula,

I had a chance to speak with the TAMRON Rep, yesterday, and he said the Model A001 will be on the shelf in late October, by all indications. The price, from what I understand, will be extremely competative with other lenses of its class (70-200).

Looking ahead, the "VC" (Vibration Compensation) that is in the current 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 and works really well, will be placed in the 18-250mm, 70-200mm and the 200-500mm lenses, for use in both Canon and Nikon camera bodies.

The SONY, of course, will not need such things.

Just a little update, straight from TAMRON ... well, kinda.

flickr & Sdi

Smile

Thanks Don. I better start saving my pennies....or dollars.

no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegaboy View Post
    I've actually been concerned about the strength of the mount area itself. Has anyone had any issues using large aperture zoom lenses? How strong is the front of the camera?
    Was the alpha really designed with these types of lenses in mind?
    I have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 monster, and an equally sized 135-400. In both cases the lens comes with a mount bracket to mount on a tripod. I use a bogen quick release and a bogen ball head and I have no problems since the center of gravity is "in the right place" when you use the included mounting bracket.

-Allan