Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't think that the example I posted really shows how bad the problem is - it's very noticeable, and not something I can easily ignore (and still enjoy my camera to its full potential). I could probably live with the hot pixel itself, but the line that extends across about 25% of the image is simply unacceptable for me. It is visible sometimes on the 1.8" D70 LCD screen, so I don't agree that it's something that will only show up in prints. That's just me I guess.

I would like to see how much it costs to repair. Anyone have any suggestions? Google/Yellow pages didn't mention any authorized Nikon repair places in my area (Virginia Beach, VA), so my plan is to try Ritz Camera. Maybe they can ship it off if they can't do the repair themselves. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks again.
    Nikon D70 | 18-70 | 50/1.8 | 70-210
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Try to find a local (non-chain) camera shop that deals with Nikon gear. I have much better experience with them than with the Wolf / Ritz shops. Heck a simple sensor cleaning means an expensive charge and days without your camera. My local guy will do it while I wait if the owner (who does the service) is in. Now a hot pixel, he would probably have to send out, but I KNOW that he won't rob me in the process.

FWIW - the trailing line is quite obvious to me in the crop. And I think that part might show up in prints too, and it WOULD annoy the heck out of me.

On the flip-side, while I haven't had to do this myself, I would imagine that most good image editors would allow you to create a macro action that takes care of it. But first experiment with getting rid of it manually before you automate it. In other words, your solution has to repair it regardless of the colors surrounding it. Maybe a scratch repair tool, or another touch-up tool that blends without over-softening. When you have a repeatable process, then make a macro to do it. Just lookup the help in the software you are using, or do a google on how to do macros for the software you are using
    Last edited by tcadwall; 09-10-2007 at 06:10 AM.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

Update - NEED ADVICE QUICK!

Update: The ebay seller has agreed to cover up to $300 to repair the D70 (). He has been extremely helpful/friendly and I can't say enough about how much I like the camera (except of course for the pixel/line issue).

My new dillema is complicated (and long - sorry for the long, wandering post!) - and mostly due to my own issues. Please don't confuse MY confusion with me being a 'troll' or a fanboy (of any brand), or anything else. I just over-analyze everything and tend to think things out too far in the future to be of any real practical importance. I end up spending too much time online 'researching' purchases instead of taking pictures! But hey, as Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." At least I know mine.

Anyway, firstly, I don't have any clue if $300 will be enough to cover the cost of fixing the CCD, and Nikon will NOT speculate over the phone (I tried). Second, this purchase is my first step into a (hopefully) life-long dslr 'system.' The lenses I acquire will be transferred to future bodies as the camera bodies are replaced/upgraded by me (as my meager finances allow of course!).

Obviously, the D70 has some miles on it and there's no warranty. I should not expect this particular body to last as long as a new-unfired one (under warranty), so that's a consideration for me. On the other hand, I'm paying substantially less than the $1300 the D70 kit would have cost me when it first came out. There are brand new dslrs currently available that are in the same 'ballpark' as what I paid for the D70, with some additional features (plus a warranty), and of course some compromises (like the x-sync speed for example - of which nothing but the entry level Nikons comes anywhere even close for that price). There are obviously many options out there, but I'm thinking specifically of the Pentax K10D.

I won't rehash the specs on the K10D - I'm sure you are all familiar, but mainly (for me), the decision I must make between the used/in-need-of-repair D70 and a brand new K10D is influenced heavily by the K10D's warranty, weather-sealing, image stabilization on every lens, and future upgradeability (using lenses on future compatible bodies). Again - I'm just starting out from ground zero. I've had a Nikon film SLR in the past, but don't have a huge investment in lenses, and they were manual-focus anyway.

Ok, my secret, ulterior motive is to someday start making money as a 'tog. Small time: Weddings, high school sports, etc. Don't worry - I'm not unrealistically planning to quit my day job and start doing this next week or anything. But, I do want to start out on the right path (system), and I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger (now that I have the option of returning the D70). The K10D will get me 90% of the way there now with its prosumer features - so that's a big plus for me. But it's the top of the line as far as Pentax goes (for now) - there's nothing to aspire to (which actually could be a good thing for me!) - and the K10D's continuous frame rate and flash sync are not up to now-accepted professional or prosumer specs. If I go Nikon, I can always plan on that D300 or even full frame now.

The last thing will seem counter-intuitive, but it involves lens choices. Ironically, I find the current Pentax lens choice more to my liking. I really want to have a fast (f/2.8), fast-focusing wide-mid zoom WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION as my keep-on-the-camera-95%-of-the-time lens. Despite Nikon's wider lens assortment, they can't currently answer this requirement for me. Canon can (EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM) and Pentax can (DA* 16 - 50 mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM) - WITH WEATHER-SEALING to boot.

I'm lost. What should I do??
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

You think you'll need image stabilization that much in a fast-aperture, fairly wide-angle lens? I'd put that a little lower on the list of priorities than I would for, say, a telephoto lens.

There's no doubt that the K10D offers a lot of features for a good price... but then, the D80 is being sold for only up to $150 over the K10D price... and the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 for Nikon is by many accounts a terrific lens, and will carry over to a D300. The D80 wouldn't give you the color noise problem that the Pentax might (although I'd be cautious with ISO 1600 on the Nikon, it's not that great for a large print).
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    You think you'll need image stabilization that much in a fast-aperture, fairly wide-angle lens? I'd put that a little lower on the list of priorities than I would for, say, a telephoto lens.
    Hand-held, indoors with typical (read: poor) lighting? Yep. I'll take any advantage I can get. Even f/2.8 is sometimes pushing the envelope for usable handheld shutter speeds on a zoom, but that's as fast/large as current dslr zooms go (except for the ludicrously-expensive Olympus I guess), so...

But I do agree that it (stabilization) is of less importance on the wide end. And, it seems that the Nikon and Canon in-the-lens (optical) stabilization is superior to the sensor-shift method - especially at long focal lengths. Never-the-less, it's another arrow in the quiver and all part of the equation for me.
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

I'm back off the fence...

After shooting another 100 or so pics with the D70 last night in really bad light (to help me decide whether or not to stick with it), I fell in love (again). It's such a great camera! It just feels 'right' to me (maybe my Nikon film slr bias?). And apart from the dot/line issue which will hopefully soon be fixed, the pictures are amazing (the metering is pure magic!). I'm sticking with Nikon and getting the D70 repaired. No more speculation about other systems (promise ). I just hope the repair costs less than $300 - does anyone have any ideas how much it will cost?? As stated earlier, it's not under warranty.

OBTW - after further correspondence, the seller stated that the camera must go to Nikon in order for him to compensate for the repair, so local shops and Ritz are out. That's no problem - and I actually completely understand and empathize.

Thanks for the advice and putting up with my rambling. Hey - am I a Nikonian now?
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

i'm sure had you gone with the pentax you would have been happy aswell. regardless of the system you choose. its always good to see someone happy with what they have.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i'm sure had you gone with the pentax you would have been happy aswell. regardless of the system you choose. its always good to see someone happy with what they have.
    Thanks Rooz - I'm sure that you're right.
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

Most of us made our Nikon choice for good reasons. I love the feel and the ease of use that the D70s gives me. I wouldn't take a free Canon of comparable featureset. - ok free might tempt me! But the convenience of the design, and the feel in my hand is worth a LOT to me. It takes great pictures, and the lens selection IMO is quite good.... I wouldn't want to be shooting a D40 because I do like the lens options and flash options that I have. I also don't like the feel of the D40, and I really don't care a lot for the feel of the D50. D70 and up, I love the feel and features.

From what I have heard, Nikon repair is very good. In fact I have heard of cameras going in for one specific problem, but getting a thourough cleaning and pro-active servicing thrown in. So, in effect, your camera could come back like a re-furbished camera. For instance, they don't want you to get your camera back and then you have a problem with the shutter. You blame them for the shutter problem, send it back, they have to fix it again, etc. So from what I have read, they often will give new life to cameras when they come in for repair. What exactly that means - I don't know. I have assumed it to mean that they often will replace the weakest wear items, even if they are 'ok' upon inspection... that type of thing.

I don't have anything to offer regarding the cost for the repair, but I would imagine that $300 would go a long way toward covering it - otherwise people would just tell them "forget it, I'll buy a new c @non".

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

It's back...

Quote Originally Posted by tcadwall View Post
    From what I have heard, Nikon repair is very good. In fact I have heard of cameras going in for one specific problem, but getting a thourough cleaning and pro-active servicing thrown in. So, in effect, your camera could come back like a re-furbished camera. For instance, they don't want you to get your camera back and then you have a problem with the shutter. You blame them for the shutter problem, send it back, they have to fix it again, etc. So from what I have read, they often will give new life to cameras when they come in for repair. What exactly that means - I don't know. I have assumed it to mean that they often will replace the weakest wear items, even if they are 'ok' upon inspection... that type of thing.
    I got my D70 back from Nikon repair and tcadwall - you were right! They did refurbish a bunch of extra stuff. New shutter, aperture(?), sensor cleaning, etc. In fact, they did $200 worth of extra stuff - but charged me for it! That wouldn't be so bad - if they would have fixed the original problem!

Yep, still a flaming red dot with trailing line and no mention of it in the invoice. I called tech support and the guy pulled up my original packing list, the invoice, and the notes from the last phone conversation I had with them, and said, 'Yep. Looks like we goofed.' He emailed me a shipping label, and I'm sending it back. I don't know what that means yet - I wonder if I'll be billed for the new repair on top of the old repairs? Remember, this thing is not under warranty.

Not being a whiner - I know that mistakes happen, and in fact the last Nikon customer service guy I spoke to was very nice and helpful (the first one was a bit of a tool however). I guess I'm most upset that I've got to go without the D70 again. Whenever I don't have it, I start thinking of other cameras... Is that like cheating?!
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film