Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy D70 is here!... with a hot pixel

Got my D70 in the mail today (finally). Second hand, ebay, w/kit lens, yada yada yada...

OMG! I can't believe I lived without a dslr for so long!!! It's incredible. I've already shot over 200 pics (I better slow down, eh?). Instant focus, no shutter lag, incredible IQ, etc... You guys already know the deal.

Anyway, as the title of the thread says, it definitely has one nasty hot pixel that I noticed almost immediately - without doing any dark screen test shots or anything. I just happened to see it when reviewing my first batch of pics (although the 24" imac monitor probably made it a bit more noticeable). I'll try to post an example here, but after reading up on it for the last 30 or so minutes, it looks like your standard hot pixel (with the annoying trailing line associated with it). This thing definitely is not under warranty, but it seems to be in otherwise EXCELLENT condition. Besides, I've read on these forums about people noticing hot pixels in their brand-new D200's - so I guess it's not that uncommon.

What should I do? I shoot a LOT of pictures (or at least I plan to), so it's not practical for me to retouch all the photos. And I really don't want to return it (assuming the seller will even take it), plus I had to call in all my favors with 'the boss' (wife) just to get this thing, so if this falls through, I'm back to pocket cams for the next decade.

I'll see if I can post examples...

Thanks in advance.
    Nikon D70 | 18-70 | 50/1.8 | 70-210
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Example

Ok, I had to resize for posting, but the EXIF data should be intact (date is wrong btw). You can't really see the hot pixel that well (maybe at all?) in the larger pic (because of resizing), but it's just below the left-hand 'point' under the butterfly's left wing - at the very top edge of the pink flower in the background.

The blowup shows the hot pixel much better. Also, you can see the red line that trails from the hot pixel all the way to the edge of the image. NOT cool. It's like this in EVERY image.

Please let me know what you think - and thanks again.

BTW - this may be because I'm so used to pocket digicams (read: total dslr newbie!), but these colors seem pretty 'flat' to me. I'm going to switch to 'vivid' and see how that works.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

I dont see the trailing red line, I do see the hot pixel, which doesnt seem to be bad, and if thats the only problem, you are pretty lucky. Its hard to notice, unless you are looking for it, and if it "ruins" a photo, you can remove it in PS in 2 seconds.

Colors may be flat depending on in camera settings, if RAW, you will need to PP the colors to make them "pop".

Hope this helped!

Enjoy your new toy!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    I dont see the trailing red line
    The jpg recompression may have smoothed it out a bit, but I can still clearly see the line in the second photo - even when I view it online.

I haven't downloaded/installed any Nikon software yet. If I can't remap the CCD myself (which it sounds like I can't), I'm not completely unapposed to removing the pixel via software as long as I can automate the process somehow. Is there a way to get rid of the pixel and the line via software for a batch of pictures - maybe as soon as I import them from the camera? I don't want to do it over and over for every single picture.

Thanks again.
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

Print one of the photos and see how it looks there, if you are pixel peeping on your computer, you will see every little blemish, but usually it wont appear in a normal print.

As for batch, I am not big on batch processing, unless its resize or converting to JPEG, so I really cant answer that, although, it sounds pretty difficult to batcha certain spot on each photos.

Maybe running it through NeatImage would remove it, that you could batch.

EDIT* If you dont mind, email me the full unedited picture so I can have a look at it. jaylsworth for AOL.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Ah yes, I do see the trailing line. You might enable 'high ISO noise reduction', if your camera possesses it; this processes to remove hot pixels when they result from high ISO exposures, but I don't really think it works on every image, and I'm not sure whether it would work here at all.

Capture NX is the Nikon program which maps images to automatically remove dust spots... I don't know whether it works with hot pixels or not.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    EDIT* If you dont mind, email me the full unedited picture so I can have a look at it. jaylsworth for AOL.
    Thanks! Email is on the way.

I've got to step out for a while (yes - bringing D70 with me ). I'll check back here later.

Thanks again.
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

I see the trailing red line...pretty pronounced too IMO!! Its not at all uncommon however. I had two hot pixels on my D80 after i bought it. A quick trip to Nikon under warranty and they fixed it. Not sure what they would charge out of warranty though?? The pixel wouldnt bother me too much...but that streak probably would, though its highly unlikely that it would ever show up in any prints.
    Visit my site at http://photosbyjerrfy.zenfolio.com/

Nikon D80 - Nikkor 18-135, Nikkor 105VR Macro, Nikkor 50 F1.8D, Sigma 50-500 "Bigma", SB-600

You could try and contact Nikon to ask what it would cost for them to map that red pixel out.But as jcon pointed out before, only in some photos it will be noticable really, and it is very easily covered up in most photo editting programs. so do not let it spoil your experience.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I have two or three dead pixels on my D-50 with a trailing line. Most of the time I don't see them. I find that I only notice the dead pixels in dark scenes shot at ISO400 and above. Since I pretty much always shoot at ISO200 I hardly notice the problem.

As others said, it is easy to remove them, and most of the time it is hard to notice it unless you are looking at hundred percent crops. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl