Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fast SD cards in Z20

Hi

Sorry, I know this has been discussed to death on here but, having read as many post as I can find, I am no much wiser on whether I really NEED to get a high speeds card.

I can get a 512mb standard card (2mb/s) for a lot less than an "utra" 256mb ande dont want to waste my money if it isnt goign to make any difference.

there is a lot of comparisons with view to burst mode which make sense but I doubt I am going to use that function very much.

However I do take a lot of cycle race pics when I need the camera to be ready to take another pic as soon as possible.

Basically can anyone say that the Z20 will make use of a high speed card in normal shooting mode and will it be noticable?

Thanks and sorry for making anyone repeat themselves.

Les (waiting for delivery of said Z20 and its killing me!)

Red face One more thing

I will be using the flash a lot as well and am guessing that will be what I am waiting for (flash to re-charge), not the card, no matter what speed it is.

That just occurred to me and I could well have just answered my own question!
    Last edited by Lest; 12-27-2004 at 12:34 PM.

I would suggest that you spend the extra money to get the high speed card. There is a reason they are more expensive..... cuz theyre better! I also read where you said you dont plan on using the burst mode much but that you will be taking pics of cycling races. You might want to look into using the busrt mode for that, that would be a perfect opportunity to use the burst, thats what it was made for

Even if you won't use burst mode much, you'll find that the auto-bracketing mode will be very useful and will become something you will probably use a lot. Auto bracketing will also benefit greatly from the faster cards for the same reasons as the burst mode. Don't forget, too, that the reads are faster - not just the writes. That will also allow quicker reviews - particularly when there are a lot of photos on the card.

In short, go with the faster cards unless you are on a tight budget. There are too many areas where they make a difference.

Auto Bracketing

What is Auto bracketing?

I cant find a glossary on here.

Thanx anyway guys! I think I will go for the quicker ones seeing as I have just spent so much on the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Lest
    What is Auto bracketing?

I cant find a glossary on here.
    Page 44 of the FZ20 manual. Easier to read it than me explain it.

ps. I agree with your choice

I was using a standard SanDisk 256MB card and then got a KingMax 512 Platinum card (60X) and the difference was very noticeable - in the camera in writing files and reviewing pics, and esp. out of the camera with my USB 2.0 card reader (10MB read/file transfer vs. ~1MB). $47.50 at newegg.com. Some say the camera maxs at 32x so don't really need a 60x card but it was a good price.

High Speed Cards

Dunno ......... I am still feeling a little unsure about this and really want a 512mb card, which I can get standard for 27 (double that for high speed).

I just want to be sure I am not wasting money.

This quote is taken from the FAQ page on THIS site.

"Should I buy a "high speed" or "pro" memory card?

In general these are a waste of money. The only times you may need one of these is if the camera requires one for a certain function (like a high performance movie or burst modes) or if the camera takes advantage of them (currently this applies only to digital SLRs). "

Question is, is the Z20 officially a "Digital SLR"?

Thanks for the pointer for Auto Bracketing Javadan as now I have read it after my new baby finally arrived!
    Thing is, auto bracket is only going to be a one off thing for testing a scene before all the riders come past (MTB race) isnt it so I am not going to need the extra speed at that particular point.

The flash is going to take longer to charge than the camera is to save the file and I will be using flash in most of my high speed photography.

I dont know whether this is a valid test but I have just tried burst mode in the highest quality (biggest file size) and then in the lowest quality and there doesnt seem to be any noticable difference in the speed the shutter is going and the review speed seems almost instant even with a full card, albeit only 128mb.

I have only just started looking at this aspect of memory cards and not trying to be smart here, just need convincing otherwise coz I really am on a budget.

I have thought lots about burst mode as well and really dont think I am going to use it that much as it is lower res and I am taking pictures of about 200 DIFFERENT riders so burst mode is is going to kill the card/battery in no time.

All I need to know (I think) is whether I am going to actually notice a difference between the time between shots without flash as, if it cuts it in half, for instance, I may be sold despite the Flash delay.

Phew!

Lest -

Get the lowest price 60x or 66x 512MB card you can afford. Then throw away your old card - you will never use it again. The difference in performance is this: Imagine owning a Ferrari that had a carburetor that kept it from exceeding 30 MPH. You might as well have bought a go-cart instead. Now, replace the carburetor with a supercharger: Voila! You have a furious Ferrari. Same thing with the high speed cards. This camera can't perform its best functions without one.

jaynads Guest
    Question is, is the Z20 officially a "Digital SLR"?

No, it is not an "official dSLR". A dSLR is generally defined as having a full size (or nearly full size) ccd sensor. Also, the only viewing is through a standard through the lens viewfinder - it doesn't have an operating LCD except for viewing pictures. This is because of the mechanisms within the camera - mirrors that flip up when you take the picture.

As far as the memory card, I also recommend high speed - I bought a Kingmax 60X card (1 GB). Look, you may not need the benefits of a high speed card for most of your shots, but what happens in the instance when you do need it? If you don't have it, you miss your shot. This may not necessarily be an issue of being poundwise/penny foolish (you need to make the final decision), but there are less expensive brands of SD cards of high quality.