Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question a100 "unable to use card" HELP!?!

My brother is loaning me his a100 to use for a class I am taking. When he brought it to me, he took out the Memory Stick PRO Duo to show me how to do it. When he put it back into the adaptor and then back into the camera it gave this error message: "unable to use card". I was able to take his card and transfer all the pics on it over to a CD, and then I tried to format it but that won't work either. I bought a new card, and I am still getting the same error message. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Could it be the adaptor? Someone PLEASE tell me it is not the camera!! Thanks!!

If formatting it didnt work then it may be a bad card. Is it under warrenty?
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

It actually won't let me format either card that I have tried. That is why I am wondering if it might be the adaptor. Because I was able to retrieve the pics from the 1st card, I know the card itself isn't damaged.

If it wont even let you format it then Im 99% sure its the card not the card reader. If you want to me sure try and different card reader but Im pretty sure its the card. Return or RMA it.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Lightbulb Getting a little bent ...

It is certainly possible to damage the pins inside the camera's CF socket ... so for a really cheap solution ... take a peek down in the CF slot with a flashlight and look for a bent gold pin or two. Straightening them ... that's going to be a completely different solution. $$$
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

49ergirl Guest

Need Help also!!

I am having the same problem with my Sony and the "unable to use card" error. We have also tried several different cards? Have you been able to fix the problem since the last post??
    Thanks a lot

I just got mine from ebay, and it was unable to use card...I toook a look in the cf slot and I am missing pins 1 & 2 and pins 13 & 14 look like they are bent....crap...but that is why mine is giving me this error...