Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

minimum speed SD card for an SLR?

Hey Guys,

what is the minimum speed SD card I should be looking at for a Nikon D80? From what I have read in other threads brand does not make a difference I just don't want to get something that is too slow or for that matter waste money on something that it too quick.

I think I remember reading that most cameras only have a read write speed of 40 to 60x. So any "high speed" card would be bottlenecked by the camera. Only time youll get the benefit of a high speed card is when your transfering your pictures to your computer/laptop via usb (or built in) card reader. If you dont transfer by card reader then save yourself some money and just get a 40x or 60x card. I do recommend getting a card reader if you dont have one though because they only cost about 5 bucks and they speed difference in high speed cards is VERY noticeable.
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

Quote Originally Posted by r3g View Post
    I think I remember reading that most cameras only have a read write speed of 40 to 60x. So any "high speed" card would be bottlenecked by the camera. Only time youll get the benefit of a high speed card is when your transfering your pictures to your computer/laptop via usb (or built in) card reader. If you dont transfer by card reader then save yourself some money and just get a 40x or 60x card. I do recommend getting a card reader if you dont have one though because they only cost about 5 bucks and they speed difference in high speed cards is VERY noticeable.
    thanks. Oh I have a SD reader in both my desktop and laptop computers, they are so much easier to use IMO.

NP.. Now as far as high speed cards go 133x and 160x ftw. :]
    Nikon D90, D40 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Vertical Grip, SB-600, SB-24, Sunpak 433D, Metz 40AF-4N, Alienbees CyberSync Triggers

R3G Media | Flickr

"You're pulling some awesome action shots with a cam and lens that are supposed to be rubbish ! " - Rooz

FWIW, I use Sandisk Ultra IIs on my D80 and a Sandisk Extreme card reader with no problems. Of course I haven't done multi frame shots yet, but I don't expect a problem.