Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation Lumix FZ8 - Need Help With Getting "Good" Pictures!!!

I just bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 last night and read though the manual. I just cant take good pictures! So far, I tried taking pictures in my room and they are ALL blurry. I DO have a steady hand but seems like the slightest bump blurs everything! I tried both image stabalizing modes but I cant get a better picture.

I am not sure how/what the "ISO", Shutter Speed, and some of the other things effect this. I am just learning and as you can see I am not on my way.

I have a Canon Powershot camera also (really cheap) and it has an auto setting that I can shake the camera as fast as I can and it will still take a decent picture. Far better than my Lumix when it is barely touched!

Please Help! I'm at the point of returning the camera!!

The Panasonic will be setting a slow shutter speed because of the lack of light. That means the camera is taking in light for longer, so if the camera moves it blurs the picture. Image stabilisation works, but can't work miracles. You'll have to manually control the shutter speed. Set the camera to shutter priority (S) mode if it has it, and adjust the shutter speed to 1/60 or above and you should get sharp pictures. Be aware that the camera will boost the ISO, so your images will be noisy. It's all compromise.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Are you using the flash? If not, there's really no way to take sharp hand held pictures in low light, such as in your room, without helping the camera out. Even then, you may simply not have enough light in that room.

Cameras need enough light to take a picture. If they detect that there isn't enough light they can do one of three things:
    1. Leave the shutter open longer - this results in blurry photos but it's the most effective way to get more light. Longer then 1/60th of a second is hard to hold steady, with IS you can get to 1/30th or so.
    2. Open the aperture - Open the iris in the shutter wider. This is useful but probably not enough in your situation to gather enough light.
    3. Increase the ISO - Make the camera sensor more sensitive to light, meaning you need less light to take the picture, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed. As mention, this means noisier photos.

In a small space like your room, the flash should provide enough light that this won't be a problem. Without a flash, you have to see what choices your camera is making. If you look at the images on your computer you should be able to see the EXIF data. That is the information about what speed, ISO, and aperture your camera chose. If the Canon is working well, you should try to duplicate those settings.

Another factor is that a big zoom lens like the FZ8 has will require more light then the smaller and faster lens of the Canon. That's just a product of more glass in the bigger zoom lens.

A lot of whats been said is correct.....but I think some of its incorrect ...The powershot cameras I am familiar with are F2.8 at the wide end to 5.8 on the long end so your FZ8 needs much less light that the powershot.
    So lets get the FZ8 set somewhere near like the Canon is set...
    You said your have auto ISO....so does the FZ8.....set it that way.....The FZ8 has better IS than the Canon so make sure its on.
    Turn off Continuous AF....and set the focus are to something other than 3 or 9 pt focus....One area should work fine.
    Now until you get use to the camera keep the zoom under 4X for a few days.(especially indoors).
    But the place to practice is outdoors in good light as you get accustom to the FZ8 a lot of this will fall in place.

If you look at the exif of the photos you took indoors with the Canon and notice the ISo it used you can set the FZ8 to that ISO if the auto setting is not raising it high enough but I think it will.
    Also I would not use auto mode or Shutter priority but I would either use aperture set at the widest setting (F2.8) or Program mode in fact I believe P mode is the one to use, for a while at least.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Yeah, Thank you guys for your help! I will try out those suggestions and reply if I cant figure something out.

Thanks AgaiN!