Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Settings recommendations for the Beach with kit lens?

What settings would you recommend for a 350D with kit lens for taking pics of kids at the pool, beach, sunsets, etc. I have a tripod, so that is an option for the low light shots.

I'm taking my g/f and her 2 kids to the beach this weekend and I would really like these pics to turn out

Thanks for any help you can muster up!
    Newbie with 350D with kit lens

http://www.StepDaddyBlog.com

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is "polarizer". A circular polarizer is important for taking some of the glare and reflection off the water, and giving you a better blue sky and such.
    Nikon D40 + kit lens

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF(...or not)

If it's bright & sunny then use f16 and reciprocal of your ISO.

ISO100 - 1/100th
    ISO400 - 1/400th
    etc.............you get the idea.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Those places can present some difficult exposure situations with the bright light creating a lot of contrast. I assume that you'll be there during the mid-day hours. You could use some fill flash if there is shadowing that you want to reduce.

When I take pictures of my niece and nephew around the pool I usually maintain a shutter speed of 1/250 or faster to avoid blur... the fast little buggers. You could use Tv mode and a fast shutter speed for the most part to keep the blurred shots to a minimum. You could switch over to Av mode and use a wide aperture (smaller f/number) to better isolate subjects for still portraits.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Compositionally, try to keep the horizon level. Try not to bisect the frame. Have fun.
    To err is human, to crop divine.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I have a circular polarizer filter, as well as a UV filter to protect from sand.

Is there any problem with having both filters on while shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by bshannon View Post
    Thank you all for the recommendations. I have a circular polarizer filter, as well as a UV filter to protect from sand.

Is there any problem with having both filters on while shooting?
    you dont need the UV on if you have a CPL. best not to stack filters as it degrades IQ.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Here is a crazy suggestion... Use a flash.

A flash helps reduce the high-contrast light that you get on people when its a bright day on the beach, it removes the shadows and makes the pics come out much better.

Unfortunately, the built-in flash isn't much good, because it limits your shutter speed to 1/200, which is probably too slow. However, an accessory flash like a 430EX can 'high speed' sync, which will let you use whatever shutter is required.

You can try the builtin one if you can get the shutter speed down....
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

Low light beach photos? Ar eyou exprecting thunderstorms?

There will be enough light during the day, and no tripod will be needed.

f8 and the appropriate shutter speed will do in most situations, with ISO 100 or 200. You will not need a pol. filter, reflections of water are fine in photos. So.. only use the pol. filter if you want to make the sky more blue.
    A pol. filter is very difficult to use anyway, on your kit lens with rotating front element. You can put the UV filter on to protect the lens from sand, but you can also leave it off. It is upto you.

Set the camera to your liking regarding saturation and contrast.

If you shoot pics of people into the light, then pop up your flash to fill in the dark people against the light background. If you shoot at night, the night portrait mode of your camera will do the same, it will provide fill in flash to let the light taht is available add to athmospher, the flash will not kill the shots totally.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Just got back and looked at my pics. I've got serious noise in 90% of the pics. I shot in Tv and Av modes. I downloaded the trial version of Noise Ninja and it worked really well, but I'm hesitant to spend $35 for the standalone version Is there a free way to remove the noise?