Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: camera repair

Gary Holtom Guest

camera repair

My panasonic FZ5 got a leaky battery, which corroded a contact and now the camera will not power up. Can you suggest either a source of replacement parts, or a repair site? I cleaned out the leaky juice with a damp q-tip so the camera is probably stable now, but the contact is broken off.

Time to either send it back to Fuji or buy a new camera. Whether or not it's within warranty will depend on how old it is, and exactly what caused the battery problem.

I always buy used cameras on eBay, and swap out good parts. The FZ5 is still a fairly valuable camera, so it might be worth it. You can likely find one with a broken lens, or cracked LCD on eBay, and then swap out the battery holder portion. Or, since yours got battery acid in it, maybe swap your good parts onto the other camera to be safe. Yes, some disassembly will be needed. Send me an e-mail if you want some help on going about this.
    | Canon 5D, XTi, EOS-3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 50mm f1.4 USM | Canon 28mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580EX II | Elinchrom Skyports | Vivitar 283 + 285 flashes...Alien Bees...etc. | Mamiya M645 1000s | Canonet Junior, Bell & Howell Dial-35 + too much other gear...