Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by No Control View Post
    Are you aware if there is a Nikon>M42 adapter?
    There is indeed.

neoser, i am a beginner too and i was into your situation sometime ago.
    and that what i can recommend.

1) be patient, stick to your kit lens for some time and experiment with them. kit lens can take good pix when you stop it to F8 or higher F... unfortunately for low light tripoid will be a must. i also trashed kit lens in the beginning but after a while came back to kit lens and went on experimenting and i am glad i done so. After learning i can say kit lens can do good job if you know how to set your camera for that.

2) understand through learning which glass is for you. i for instance sold Sigma 17-70 together with filters because this was not for me. I figure Sigma made a nice attempt to put a lot into a single glass but you cannot have everything IMO.

3) of cheapo good lens i can recommend Canon 28-105/F3.5-4.5 II USM (keep in mind this is II USM, because there is another lens from Canon which is without II and this is a crap). 28-105 is equivalent to 44-168 on a 1.6 crop sensor like XTi's. another good cheapo you want to consider is 28-135/.5-5.6 IS (image stabilizer), i overlooked this when coming to 28-105 but then my lens is 100$ less that this one. however these two still will leave you wishing a wider angle lens.

4) believe it or not, but for everyone lens choice is often different and what can be good for someone might be not for you.

For myself i can tell after having rush for buying a new lens, i am glad i have not done so right away. because lens i consider today are different to what i was considering in the past.

and unfortunately good lens is never cheap, so prepare to invest if you want them.

third party lenses can be good solution but you need to get a good copy too, focusing with third party can be a problem, esp with Sigma while i hear more good words on Tamron and Tokina.
    Last edited by Gintaras; 08-26-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Control View Post
    Are you aware if there is a Nikon>M42 adapter?
    Be aware!

The Canon EOS range allows you to actually meter with the MF lenses, you set the aperture on the lens, and the camera meters with the light that goes through.

However, on a Nikon D40/D50/D70/D80 the camera refuses to meter! So you will have to get a light meter to figure out how to set the camera... not really an easy task.

The Nikon D200 and up do allow you to meter with older lenses.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

and for cheapo you can always look up on Ebay for second hand lens.

as concerns landscape, my 28-105 is enough for me, but when i go to photograph in the city i wish i had a 17 or wider...

as concerns primes, what puzzles me is focal length on 1.6 which makes otherwise excellent 50mm a 80mm lens... and excellent 85 becomes ...hm...136mm. i am not a portrait shooter for this case while low light scape is more my case, so i am scratching my head quite a bit which prime can give me what i want.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Be aware!

The Canon EOS range allows you to actually meter with the MF lenses, you set the aperture on the lens, and the camera meters with the light that goes through.

However, on a Nikon D40/D50/D70/D80 the camera refuses to meter! So you will have to get a light meter to figure out how to set the camera... not really an easy task.

Thanks for pointing that out Coldy. I wasn't aware of that.

One other thing I might want to mention in ur Lens search, is that you must remember also that you have a 1.6x Crop Factor dslr not 1.3x full frame. Also the ef-s lenses are designed for ur camera, they don't work with the full frame cameras good. I won't get into detail, u can read up on it. Point is when ur deciding on a lens make sure that this lens will work on ur camera well. I myself like to look at reviews from guys that have a 30d. Good Luck and be patient, unless ur rich enough to make mistakes...lol.
    Canon 40D
    EF 70-200 f/4L IS, EF 400 f/5.6L
    EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

Speed2, do you think you ever go to full frame? my impression is 1.6 crop will be kept on prosumer cameras while i am NOT so rich to afford easily a FF monster... in which case AF-S lens fits perfectly both on 400D and 40D if I am not mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
    Speed2, do you think you ever go to full frame? my impression is 1.6 crop will be kept on prosumer cameras while i am NOT so rich to afford easily a FF monster... in which case AF-S lens fits perfectly both on 400D and 40D if I am not mistaken?

Depends, on or if i win the Lotto...lol. Since i don't play, i can't see me spending the money. D30 D60 and 10D won't do the EF-S lenses. I should also add that i wouldn't want a canon FF anyways.
    This hit and miss focus thing would drive me crazy. More over the fact that they have no Customer Service IMO. These guys spend what? 4-7000 on these babys.
    Last edited by Speed2; 08-26-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    Canon 40D
    EF 70-200 f/4L IS, EF 400 f/5.6L
    EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Be aware!

Ahh thanks a lot coldrain. Well I have had the opportunity to use light meters before when out doing nature stuff, so they're not too foreign to me. We'll see what happens once I get some extra cash.
    -Drew

The world gives me subjects, I just arrange them in a viewfinder.

Nikon D80
    Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 D
    Nikon SB-600 [NEW!]

New Gallery:
    http://drewsherlock.deviantart.com/