Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon Film Cameras

I know this is a digital photography board, but my wife is interested in a Canon film SLR. She prefers the look of the pictures to the ones she gets with her A620. I have found the following at BH for $210, could someone coming out of a film background advise about this camera?

EOS Rebel K2 35mm SLR Autofocus Camera Kit with Canon 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III Lens

She will use it entirely for family snapshots and I can guarantee it will never leave full auto mode. I guess I'm really asking: Will a complete novice get pictures from this camera on full auto that she would prefer to the photos from an A620 (also on full auto)?

I appreciate any thoughts you would like to share.

What about the look does she prefer? And that is a very high price for that 2nd hand camera.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

She is mainly dissatisfied with the indoor shots she gets. Basically redeye and flash blowing out the shot on pictures around the house, lack of flash range for school programs. She has a friend who is also a novice that shot the same program as her with a canon eos film camera (not sure what model). They were seated side by side. She showed me the shots from both cameras to compare, and the film canon shots were much nicer. Both cameras were on full auto. They just appeared to have better metering and white balance (at least on those particular shots).

I'm going the other way and looking to jump from p&s to a 30D or XTI in a couple of months. So, at least we could share EF lenses if she makes the switch (though I doubt she ever changes lenses from a standard zoom).

And thanks for the tip on the price!

The difference isn't film vs digital, it's P&S vs SLR. She could solve the problem with a dSLR just as easily as she could with a film SLR.

David is right. Putting a film SLR on auto mode is no better than a digital SLR in auto mode. There are a few things film can do that digital just can't, but none of those things are in auto mode. Depending on how much you mind buying film and getting it developed though, she would probably be just as happy with it. I know wal-mart has the K2 with kit lens for $199.99. About 50-75 rolls would be the break even point in paying for film and developing compared to going digital. So yes, the film SLR pictures will probably be better than the digital point and shoot pictures, but so will digital SLR pictures.

OK. Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It seems pretty obvious now that you've said that! Of course, I'm an accountant and therefore unable to see the forest for the trees!

Or as Monty Python liked to say: I'm an accountant and therefore too boring to be of any interest.

Yep. Absolutely. P&S cameras are horrible when it comes to indoor flash pics in auto mode. You can actually get decent pics with a P&S in manual mode, but that requires her to learn how to set the shutter speed, ISO, flash exposure compensation, etc. A dSLR will do much better on full auto. The Rebel XT & XTi should be on sale these days, and can take on your friend's film SLR no problem.

I would also recommend an external flash to increase range & coverage (430EX, I don't know about the 220EX... you're not saving much, and it's harder to use add-ons like diffusers since they're all built for full-size heads, although it is nice and compact), and to be able to use bounce flash or a diffuser like the Gary Fong Lightsphere.

If you are open to other brands, I might recommend taking a look at Nikon, as they are known for flash photography.
    Last edited by e_dawg; 08-21-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Nikon: D300, D700, Nikkor: 24-70, 70-200, 70-300/VR, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4G, 60/2.8G, 180/2.8,
    Sigma: 10-20, 50-150/2.8, 50/2.8, Tamron: 17-50/2.8, 28-75/2.8, Tokina: 12-24, Zeiss: 25/2.8
    Olympus: E-520, E-3, 7-14, 9-18, 11-22, 12-60, 14-35/2, 14-54, 35-100/2, 50-200, 25/2.8, 35/3.5, 50/2
    Panasonic: G1, Leica: 14-50, 14-150, 25/1.4
    Sony: A700, A900, 24-85, 35-70, 70-210/4, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 50/2.8, T 90 macro, Zeiss: 24-70/2.8, 135/1.8
    P&S: Canon S90, Panasonic: LX3

I think color film has more exposure latitude than digital (at present). If she would be happy with film, it might be worth a try.

I would suggest either an older Nikon or Canon AF SLR.

I used to use a N8008s w/ SB26, it took excellent indoor shots with color print film.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19

If $210 seems like a lot for your wife's second camera, a dSLR will cost a lot more than that. There are cheaper, smaller digital point and shoots that are newer than the A620 and have red eye removal or high ISO so a flash isn't needed. Canon A650, A720, Fuji F50, etc.

But it sounds like Jalva22 wants to get a dSLR for himself and then they can both use it.

Yes, I'm expecting to be the owner of a 30D soon. Giving it a little time to milk whatever price drop I can get out of the 40D hitting the shelves and/or fall rebates. The wife has gotten it into her head that she likes film better though, and you know how easy it is to convince them otherwise. I think my plan is going to be to get my camera and see how she likes the results. If she still wants a film slr after that, I'll buy her a film body for Christmas and we can share lenses.

I think also feeding her digital prejudice is that the guy who shoots annual shots for her school where she's the principal used to do great work on them a few years ago. The last two years he's put no effort into at all. The faces are all pasty looking and they have that cheap look to them that bad digital shots can have. I don't know what he uses, but she blames it on the switch to digital. I just think he has a long term contract and doesn't care what they look like. Still, his name is on the proofs that all the parents get and I sure wouldn't call him up for a shoot anymore. I could pull someone off the street and slap my Panasonic FZ15 in their hands and do just as well as he's doing.

Anyway, that's what I'm dealing with! Thanks for the responses, they've been a great help in making up my mind!