Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    It's been a while, but that last one was very good toriaj.

Orion rising over Death Valley, foreground lit by 3/4 moon. Since I don't use a tripod it is easy to get a strong foreground, since I have to place my camera on the ground in some fashion anyhow. In this case, a piece of 2x4 I found lying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice, raven. I'm surprised you didn't get little trails at 40 seconds, why was I thinking even 30 seconds gave you trails? Maybe it's the wider FOV. Anyway, great shot, maybe next time you can get something higher than a 2x4 so the foreground could be in focus don't let me bother you, it's a great shot.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

I think you're probably right about focal length. The trails aren't visible in this small size, but the stars look a little long at full size. Since I know how to do it after finding this thread, maybe I'll be better next time! Yeah, maybe I should invest in a small tripod too.

Well I don't have much experience with this since my camera is finicky with battery life. After about a couple minutes of exposure it thinks the batteries are dead.

This one is too dark for me. I prefer an exposure similar to Tori's. Unless I miscounted, I think there's 6 stops of difference in the exposure between your shot and hers. Of course though, the light was different for each. Was there moon light for your shot? Composition is a little harder to critique since you were stuck with putting the camera on the ground. The lower you put the camera though, the more careful you need to be about what you have in your foreground.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Got it . I had another shot with a brighter exposure. I think I didn't choose it because of glare from the moon, and slightly longer stars. Here it is, cropped to a 3:2 aspect ratio to eliminate some of the foreground. I had a few with my camera on the car too, but the side of the road as a foreground just didn't work, so I moved to the rare sight of water. I think Tori's was taken earlier, for a bluer sky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A night seascape...
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

A couple from a full moon last month

Lukas

Flickr

I guess I'll post this one here too. 3 min exposure

Pigeon Point Moonlight by Lukas W, on Flickr
    Lukas

Flickr

Just a simple one from Death Valley

Artist's Drive by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr
    Lukas

Flickr

I like the soft color fades in the Death Valley shot.