Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Is this ok?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bynx, I appreciate your time working on the shot. Next time, with Chris's tips, maybe I'll get it lit up more in-camera

Thanks, Benjamin, I know what you mean about noticing things ... and I bet that you'll begin seeing the whole world differently once you get into photography
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    Thanks, Benjamin, I know what you mean about noticing things ... and I bet that you'll begin seeing the whole world differently once you get into photography
    Hi Tori

Actually I've already began to see the world differently, e.g. whenever I'm walking anywhere now I'm automatically looking at everything wondering whether it would make a good subject and how to compose or frame it for a photo...

I'm not actually completely knew to photography, I used to enjoy it in my teens and twenties, but had a long hiatus after my last camera broke ... its just taken a long while for me to have the desire to get a new camera and to do the research into digital photography to choose a digital camera.

A work colleague loaned me her old Ricoh Caplio GX two days ago (see Ricoh thread if interested) and I trialled it last night while walking to the station after work and got some good shots of various features from a few parks along the way. I'll post them as soon as my colleague returns to work and downloads the photos off the card to her computer (I don't have the usb driver or other software for the camera, just the camera). No doubt the photos wont be that good technically, but I was amazed that I could get any pictures at all given the limited light available... since they aren't night sky shots I'll post those photos in the Ricoh thread. I also got some great photos of Ariella which I'll post to the kitty thread!

regards,

Benjamin

It wasn't so cold last night, so I braved the snowy landscape
    There was a small sliver of moon along with the stars, but the landscape was also partially lit by the lights of the freeway (I was parked on the shoulder, hazard lights flashing, trying to shield the tripod from the wind with my body.) The only star I could really see was the one bright one in the upper right.

50mm, 20 sec., f/1.8, ISO 1600

P.S. No noise reduction, I don't even find it intrusive at 100%
    Last edited by toriaj; 02-11-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Smile Night sky snow-scape

Hi Tori

Great shot!
    I guess the risk of noise in nightscapes would seem to be pretty high (theoretically), but your photo doesn't appear to be affected by noise at all and without any noise-reduction, it seems pretty clear. The D50 & Nikkor 50mm/f1.8 comes through again!

Thanks for posting, I really enjoy your nightscape/night-sky shots.

cheers,
    Last edited by Benjamin2007; 02-12-2008 at 04:58 AM.

Benjamin

There was a small sliver of moon along with the stars, but the landscape was also partially lit by the lights of the freeway (I was parked on the shoulder, hazard lights flashing, trying to shield the tripod from the wind with my body.) The only star I could really see was the one bright one in the upper right.

50mm, 20 sec., f/1.8, ISO 1600

Great photo there! What was your white balance set to. I'm guessing maaaybe... incandescent or fluorescent? This really makes me want to get out late and shoot more stars.
    Brian C. Racine

Canon 40D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | BG-E2 Grip | 580EX II

Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Thanks Benjamin and Brian. Actually I shot in auto WB. When I processed it, the Daylight setting yielded the whitest snow, so I used that, but now the snow looks purple. It must have been from a Curves adjustment or something. I actually didn't process the picture very much. The noise is visible at a high zoom, but I don't find it intrusive. In fact, I think starry skies look fine with a bunch of noise. If you noise-reduce it, you lose a bunch of the fainter stars. I'll have to re-process the image and get rid of the purple snow, grr
    Flickr

Toriaj, that's a great shot! You always get so wrapped up in having a perfect white balance. I personally like the purple snow with the other great colors. Did you notice the horizontal streak a bit under the bright star? Maybe a falling star?
    Nikon D80 | SIGMA 18-50 f/2.8 EX Macro

That's a wonderful shot. Make sure you don't lose that bright blue sky when you tweak the WB. I tried some long exposure stuff this weekend too but nothing as cool as this one. I'll have to steal some of that advice you got from Chris for when I go camping this weekend.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Yeah, Lukas, you should really give it a try. It's fun, especially if it's not too cold lol ... it's cool to see stuff in the LCD that you can't see with your eyes.

Hokeyguy, yep the streak is an airplane. I saw it when the shutter was open, I was hoping it would get into the frame. There's actually two airplanes. The other one isn't so visible, it's just a little trail lower down on the right. This is a high-frequency fly area, although most of the planes fly quite high so we can't hear them. Yeah, I guess white balance is something I do get wrapped up in but I want to keep that sky for sure.
    Flickr