Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    While in Southern Utah for buisness, I decided to take a night trip out to Zion NP. Here are a few of my favorite shots

Why cant I view any of the photos here?
    Nikon D70s, 18-70mm AF, 50mm f/1.8 AF.

Future plans: D300, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4(or 1.8).

Not sure. Could be something up with your internet settings.

This was taken just 45 mins away from my house, most of it on a dirt road. It's a homestead on the edge of the sand dunes. From what I can tell, it was abandoned in about the 1940s. The sand is taking over

I had expected the house would be lit better in this long of an exposure (9 minutes.) The sun had set behind the house, and some sunset light remained, so maybe that contributed to the silhouette effect. It was a new moon, so the rest of the light was starlight. I was surprised, though, at how well the Milky Way was captured. That's what the cloudy area in the upper left is. When setting up the shot, I shined a flashlight on the chimney, and manually focused on that. You can see a daytime version of the area here:http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...d=1#post252334

18mm, f/3.5, 540 sec., ISO 800. Some noise reduction on the house and foreground.

Name:  Homestead Trail 1009 resized.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  56.0 KB
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Tori that is a great shot. Next time you are up there, try taking the same shot, but instead of a 9 min exposure, shoot a 90 second exposure f/1.8 (with your 50mm) or another of your fastest lens...@ iso 1600.

During the exposure use a light to paint the building no longer than 30 seconds. Try many shots until you get what you like. This approach will have a little more noise, BUT you will get the Milky Way crisp and gorgeouse looking with a well exposed building.

You are getting really good at your night time photography.

Thanks for the tips, Chris! I will try them soon. I had been to the area once before, but the dirt road was horrible. I had to wait for my dh to take me there in the truck, but when he did, the road was much better! Now I can go out there anytime I want (until it snows, that is ...)
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Astro photographs by Chris & Tori

Hi Chris & Tori

Gee, the night shots that you both have recently posted (Chris, Zion NP; & Tori, Wyoming Homestead) are absolutely gorgeous!

I can see that I'm really going to enjoy exploring the different photo threads here (mental note: must set up an internet photo album to share some photos from Sydney etc , after I buy the new camera next month!)

Look forward to appreciating more of your work and learning from you!

Benjamin

Thanks, Benjamin! I'm glad you liked it. Chris here is the master
    This forum is addicting ... It's 4 a.m., I have to get up in 4 hours. But here I am!
    Flickr

Wow Esoterra, your first shot of Zion is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for that one.

Smile Addictive site

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    Thanks, Benjamin! I'm glad you liked it. Chris here is the master
    This forum is addicting ... It's 4 a.m., I have to get up in 4 hours. But here I am!
    Hi Tori,
    Ditto!
    I haven't had so much fun, just surfing and browsing a site for a while, I feel like a kid in a candy store!
    (To be perfectly honest this is one of the few experiences I've had in a forum/chat style site, not that I'm a luddite re technology, just haven't been that interested to chat online before. )
    Didn't get to bed last night 'til 3am, not good for work the next day..., but hey life is short...
    Chris takes some superb photos, but I really like yours too! I like the lighting, overall effect and composition, really beautiful!
    You would have been proud of the Sydney folk last night! As I was walking to the train station after work I saw two people taking some night shots in the city, one in Hyde Park (the central park in the CBD) and the other of some of the commercial buildings in the CBD.
    Funny how you notice these things, once you become interested in something. Sort of like when you're thinking of buying a car and suddenly you seem to notice that make/model car on the road all the time.

regards,

Benjamin