Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Astro Photography~ show us your skies!

I looked for a thread on astro photography and didn't see anything, so I thought I would throw out a few. A group of friends and I went out to get some lucky shots of the Persied Meteor Shower. Last night was supposed to be the climax of the event, but I didnt get a single shot with the meteors in it. This is new territory for me so while it can be very frustrating, Im really excited about getting out there and trying my hand at it. If any of you have any star shots, I would love to see them! Here is one that I thought turned out pretty good.

Last edited by Esoterra; 08-22-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Chris--that's lovely! What lens? What EXIF? Do tell!
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Chris--that's lovely! What lens? What EXIF? Do tell!
    D200
    Nikkor 17-55 @ 17mm
    ISO 1600
    f/2.8
    90sec

It's a little grainy, but for astrophotography, I will take what I can get, heh.

Great start of the thread. I absolutely love astrophotography. I'm still trying and learning though. Unfortunately the camera I'm using limits me. I tried to capture the showers as well, got nothing.

EXIF:
    Make: NIKON
    Model: E8700
    Shutter Speed: 30027/100 second
    F Number: F/2.8
    Focal Length: 9 mm
    ISO Speed: 50
    White Balance: Fluorescent
    Brian C. Racine

Canon 40D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | BG-E2 Grip | 580EX II

Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Wow, great stars there, mumbles. You could have fooled me, I would have thought they were meteors I love the colors in the sky, and the contrast of the stars against it.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    Wow, great stars there, mumbles. You could have fooled me, I would have thought they were meteors I love the colors in the sky, and the contrast of the stars against it.
    Thanks you. Yeah I guess they could be mistaken for meteors. Though I for got to mention this is an older photo and not the same night as the showers.

Originally Posted by Esoterra
    Nice shot mumbles. I love the pattern of the clouds. Did you try messing around with the WB at all? You can get some really cool results!
    Thanks. Yeah I've played around with the WB a bit:

Here I used the cloudy setting for the WB.

EXIF:
    Make: NIKON
    Model: E8700
    Shutter Speed: 6004/100 second
    F Number: F/2.8
    Focal Length: 9 mm
    ISO Speed: 50
    Date Picture Taken: Feb 23, 2007, 1:07:33 AM
    Brian C. Racine

Canon 40D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | BG-E2 Grip | 580EX II

Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Nice shot mumbles. I love the pattern of the clouds. Did you try messing around with the WB at all? You can get some really cool resutls!

Very nice, raven. I'm surprised you didn't get little trails at 40 seconds, why was I thinking even 30 seconds gave you trails? Maybe it's the wider FOV. Anyway, great shot, maybe next time you can get something higher than a 2x4 so the foreground could be in focus don't let me bother you, it's a great shot.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

I think you're probably right about focal length. The trails aren't visible in this small size, but the stars look a little long at full size. Since I know how to do it after finding this thread, maybe I'll be better next time! Yeah, maybe I should invest in a small tripod too.

Well I don't have much experience with this since my camera is finicky with battery life. After about a couple minutes of exposure it thinks the batteries are dead.

This one is too dark for me. I prefer an exposure similar to Tori's. Unless I miscounted, I think there's 6 stops of difference in the exposure between your shot and hers. Of course though, the light was different for each. Was there moon light for your shot? Composition is a little harder to critique since you were stuck with putting the camera on the ground. The lower you put the camera though, the more careful you need to be about what you have in your foreground.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr