Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question SONY says "They're almost ready ..."

Uh ... almost ready for what?

A lot of photographers are on serious standby, waiting for news.

Best I could wrangle out of the sources is September-October release date. Just like Canon ... its all being played "close to the vest" in this cut-throat & killer industry. It may all fall, this Fall. C'mon guys ... this isn't espionage ...

Name:  spy vs spy.bmp
Views: 392
Size:  10.8 KB

or, isn't it?

Anyone else heard anything?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-13-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The latest news I've seen from Sony is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    Sony's 12.47 megapixel APS-C sensor captures 10.4 fps: take that, EOS 40D hopefuls
    Sony's 12.47 megapixel APS-C sensor captures 10.4 fps: take that, EOS 40D hopefuls - Engadget
    Posted Aug 20th 2007 7:10AM by Thomas Ricker

So, you've already decided to save up the $1,300 green for your new EOS 40D, eh? We can't blame you in the least, in fact, we're pondering the hit ourselves. Still, we thought you should know that Sony just announced their 12.47 megapixel APS-C sized CMOS image sensor, the IMX021. Right, the same sized CMOS sensor you'll find in the 10.1 megapixel 40D capable of processing "just" 6.5fps. The new sensor is said to offer enhanced image quality with reduced noise at a staggering 10.39 frames per second. It's available now in 40,000 ($347) sample quantities and will no doubt make its way into DLSRs from Sony and others in the months ahead. Damn you progress!

Don, if sony release their anticipated semi-pro model are you in boots and all or what ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Strange you should ask ...

Well ... I'm deeply invested in Canon-glass ... which means dump it and move to SONY glass. Could I? Yeah ... it'd be annoying, but probably. The 70-200mm f/2.8 G lens is top drawer stuff, but I'm just not going to buy it if the best thing I can put it on is the A100. That lens alone is a $2400 investment. It has to have a future. Sure, TAMRON is planning to release a SONY-mount 70-200mm f/2.8, themselves, which will probably be nowhere near the price of the SONY lens ... but I would go that far for the A100, without dumping my Canon.

I will evaluate the 'new' body and see what shakes (LOL), but I have no allegiance to Canon, to be sure ... as they just keep missing the "no-brainer" ... and that has me kind of concerned just who they are catering to. I would prefer it be the photographer ... not the big pros ... but the rest of us, too.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-29-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi